UKC

Beginner in need of advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
shababuddin 31 Dec 2014
Hi,

My end goal is to climb the Matterhorn but as a beginner I am very much aware that a lot of training needs to be done beforehand. Could anyone tell me just what kind of training I'd actually need to do to be ready for the Matterhorn?

Thanks
 Trangia 31 Dec 2014
In reply to shababuddin:

Get very fit and get used to moving fast and safely over difficult ground.

Are you into scrambling? If not I suggest you hook up with some more experienced hill walkers/climbers and start doing lots of scrambles in Scotland, England and N Wales. There isn't much in the UK that replicates Alpine climbing (at least in size), but some of the Classics like N Ridge of Tryfan, Bristly Ridge, Crib Goch, Aonach Eagach and all or parts of the Cuillin Ridge will give you a taster and get you used to exposure.

Once you find you are coping well with these I suggest you go on a couple of Alpine trips, before even thinking about the Matterhorn.

You could consider hiring a guide, although being dragged up when you don't really know what you are doing isn't a great experience.

You would do well to go on a course or courses at a mountain school like Plas y Brenin in N Wales, or Glenmore Lodge in Scotland, or the BMC or similar, who can introduce you to scrambling and also run Alpine courses for beginners.

Although not technically that difficult the easier routes on the Matterhorn are still serious undertakings and the risk of serious injury or death is very real, and route finding is not easy. As with most Alpine peaks the ability to move fast and safely over difficult exposed ground, which comes with practice and experience, is the real key. Too many people underestimate this.

Good luck.

shababuddin 31 Dec 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks, that has cleared up a lot.

In terms of buying gear, what bits of kit will I need? It would really help if I could just buy gear that will do me for the training as well as alpine trips.
I'm a student so ideally I'd like to keep the price of all the gear to a minimum, although I understand good gear goes a long way. Is there a second hand place online other than eBay?
 Gawyllie 31 Dec 2014
In reply to shababuddin:

loads of good advice above

Buy gear as you find you need it. to begin with for most scrambling you only really need hill walking gear.

by getting gear as you go and progressing what you have with your actual activity you should be less likely to buy things you don't need and thus keep the cost down. best bet is to get out with people and see what they are using.

I don't know your age but if you meet the requirements you should look at the conville alpine courses. I never done them but have met people who have and have heard good things.
 SteveoS 01 Jan 2015
In reply to shababuddin:

As a student why dont you join the hill walking society at your university? They should have gear you can borrow and experience behind it
 nation1 01 Jan 2015
In reply to shababuddin:

Join your Uni mountaineering club if they have one? a mountaineering club is a great place to serve your apprenticeship so to speak. Start out on easy rock climbs, get used to belaying and using gear, get to know how to abseil properly and protect yourself, learn to coil a rope, tie knots the list is endless... then progress to multi pitch long vdiff graded climbs in the mountains and as people have already stated be fit move fast but safe and do lots of scrambling at grade. Get into winter mountaineering also lots to learn there too..... Sounds like you youth on your side? so don't rush this, you will probably find climbing is quit addictive and you will go on to many trips/expeditions in your lifetime, if this is the case then good luck and be safe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...