UKC

Climbing gear in self storage units

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
needvert 01 Jan 2015
I'm off for a while, and all my stuff is going into a self storage unit, for what may be several months.

Thinking about the nature of self storage, they're often stuffy, with construction methods approximately in line with a partitioned shed. Where someone without doubt will be storing lead acid batteries (I know I've stored one there).

Got me thinking, do I want to store my ropes and slings in such an environment?

Am I just being ocd? I admit its pretty unlikely one of the adjacent 2 units will be housing a leaky truck battery.
 JayPee630 01 Jan 2015
In reply to needvert:

You're worrying about nothing IMO. Assuming you're not just going to throw it all on the floor or something.
In reply to JayPee630:

The larger, warehouse type ones are usually very dry and well ventilated so I would just put the gear in plastic storage boxes. If you put some paper underneath it would be pretty obvious if anything had leaked in from next door.

There should be something in the contract about contamination from an adjacent unit?
 Jack B 01 Jan 2015
In reply to needvert:

I'm sure its fine, but if you want to avoid nagging worries then amazon sell 44 litre weatherproof boxes for £20. They have a rubber seal, so short of acid burning a hole in them they ought to keep your kit safe.
 SenzuBean 01 Jan 2015
In reply to needvert:

You could also consider using a dessicant to dry out any containers you put in there, if you really cared. When I was drying some plants, I used epsom salts that had been baked in the oven, put into a jar with holes in the top - cheap and easy and reusable, it keeps things nice and dry. But for outdoor gear, probably overkill.
 jimjimjim 01 Jan 2015
In reply to needvert:

You sir are a worrier. Just lob it in a bag and enjoy your trip. Life is too short youth.
needvert 02 Jan 2015
In reply to jimjimjim:

I think you're quite right.

But still...I do wonder! We started moving stuff in. Turns out they regularly fumigate all the storage units.
 marsbar 02 Jan 2015
In reply to needvert:

Keep stuff off the floor if you are worried.
 jkarran 03 Jan 2015
In reply to needvert:

You're being a bit OCD.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...