UKC

Most dextrous waterproof gloves for winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 02 Jan 2015

I usually climb in a pair of ME Super Alpine softshell gloves http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/super-alpine-glove which are great on an ice pitch or moderately damp rock and fantastic in the dry but can wet out in sustained Scottish conditions. I'm looking for recommendations for sturdy but dextrous waterproof membrane gloves for the coming season. Anything beyond moderate warmth is not a priority as I'll throw a supersized mitt outer over them on belays.

I can then chuck both pairs in the bag and choose as required.

I'm attracted to these:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/cascade-xtrafit-glove

and interested in competing suggestions, BD Terminators or Punishers maybe?

Please don't recommend Dachsteins or anything Paramo. Waterproof and dextrous please and possibly with some knuckle padding.

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year

ETA I've read the comparison review http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6049 but interested in long-term thoughts from the UKC massive
Post edited at 12:44
 SenzuBean 02 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

There are some nice Arc'teryx alpha SV gloves that are very dexterous - probably more so than many of the gloves you're looking at (reason why is the way the fingers are stitched is not box stitching). The nice thing is that they are shell gloves, so once the inner gloves get soaked (via sweat), just put on a new pair of inners, and pop the shell back on. They are ludicrously expensive, which is their only downside. I managed to find a cheap pair from the previous season's model, so I bought them, and am very happy with them.
 TeeBee 02 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

> BD Terminators or Punishers maybe?

I've two pairs of Punishers that I'm very happy with - probably four years old now and still in pretty good condition. They're not always toasty warm, but most gear-fiddling and knot-tying is manageable, I've yet to get wet hands in them and a bit of vigorous arm-swinging takes the edge off the chill.

I'd enthusiastically recommend them; the only thing it might be worth pointing out is that I think BD tweaked the design since I got mine, so they may be a little different now.
 iksander 02 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

Fit is as important as design features. If ME gloves fit you well, you'll be hard pressed to find more dexterous than Cascades, just don't expect them to be that warm or last that long. I've found ME Mountain stretch to be warmer and more durable (and cheaper) and dexterity is good enough for me.
 nickcj 02 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

I've had a couple of pairs of punishers and really liked them. To be honest I've never found any glove to be waterproof and now use Skytec Argons, rotating lot as of pairs as they wet out.
 Kassius 02 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

I brought a pair from decathlon very similar to punishers but £35 they are very warm, waterproof and well made with reinforced index finger and Palm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...