UKC

Bindings for Scarpa Maestrale boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim Davies 02 Jan 2015
Anyone point me in the right direction as to which ski touring bindings are officially suitable for use with the Maestrales?
I'm looking for a second set of skis for use on the piste and also lift accessed off piste/ touring.
I'm confused by the new generation of walk to ride bindings etc and have been told (possibly incorrectly) that the new Salomon guardians would be compatible.
Lots of the newer bindings list ISO numbers relating to boot/binding compatibility.

I've already got dynafits on my lightweight touring skis but want a binding that will release better on piste.

Thanks

DaveHK 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Tim Davies:
>
> I've already got dynafits on my lightweight touring skis but want a binding that will release better on piste.

Marker Barons or Salomon Guardians would work fine for that.

edit - as far as I know the only no-no is a touring boot on many DH bindings as the rubber sole and camber can impede release.
Post edited at 17:34
 NottsRich 02 Jan 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

I've used Freeride Pros with no problem. Just switched to Dynafit, and no problems there either. That's with the Maestrale RS version.
 NottsRich 02 Jan 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> edit - as far as I know the only no-no is a touring boot on many DH bindings as the rubber sole and camber can impede release.

That's my understanding too. A sliding AFD on the toe binding is important for touring boots. Obviously not needed with Dynafit though.
 rogersavery 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Tim Davies:
the 2013/2014 Salomon Guardians are not compatible with all AT soles - the later version of this binding is (it comes with the Anti Friction Devive under the toe)

Something like the marker duke/baron/tour will work
Post edited at 18:40
 chrisprescott 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Tim Davies: I've been using the Maestrale RS with Marker Barons for the last couple of seasons, work great.
 kevin stephens 02 Jan 2015
In reply to chrisprescott:

Marker F10 or F12 are an excellent lighter alternative to Barons or Dukes
 Gael Force 02 Jan 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:
I have these boots and use Fritschi's which are fine, Hagans are also good.
Marker F10 and F12 have a reputation for breaking and being unreliable, okay for holiday skiers...
Post edited at 19:22
 kevin stephens 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Gael Force: a reputation based on the initial version of the F10 and F12. The current versions have been redesigned, are much more durable and have a good reputation. I use F10s on whitedot preachers and Fritschi on Scott missions

OP Tim Davies 02 Jan 2015
In reply to rogersavery:
Can you explain what AT means?

Selecting a ski set up is largely about the jargon I'm finding, rather than the kit?

DaveHK 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Tim Davies:

AT = Alpine Touring to distinguish it from the many other forms of skiing available.
In reply to DaveHK:
Think I'm getting there

Touring boots= AT= ISO 9523 compatible.

Thanks everyone!
 DaveHK 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Tim Davies:
> Touring boots= AT= ISO 9523 compatible.

From the wikipedia page it seems that ISO 9523 just refers to 'Tech' bindings like Dynafits.
Post edited at 20:47
In reply to Tim Davies:

MNC - multi norm certified. Meaningless jargon again= can accept all boot types because it has a sliding anti fraction plate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...