UKC

Climbing near Quillan / Le Cardou / St Salvayre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PhilWS 03 Jan 2015
Know I'm planning ahead but wondered if anyone had any advice for family friendly areas for climbing in the Quillan region for late July/early August.

Need 4s for the kids, 5s for the other half and no higher than 6a/b realistically for me.
Took the family to La Clape last year which the kids loved.

Did try to get the guide for Le Cardou - St Salvayre from Roc Genèse but they won't post to UK.

Need to know if I need lots more practice having looked at Rockfax for Ariège!!

On a related note if there is anything else nearby that people would recommend then..... we're not great fans of crowded places though

Many thanks
 Tez29 05 Jan 2015
In reply to PhilWS:

I think I have Le Cardou guide somewhere, I'll have a look. Might be able scan pages and send you it. (Hopefully no copyright police out there) think the grade spectrum willsuit your requirements but not sure how kid ffriendly it is though.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Jan 2015
In reply to PhilWS:

I have climbed at Cardou and St Salvayre - both pleasant enough though only one star crags. I wouldn't say either of them were very 'kid friendly' both have steep approaches - one up and one down and the base of Cardou is very ledgy and tricky.
Notre Dame du Cross http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3876 north of Carcassonne might fit the bill - lovely area (chapel, streams, meadows, canyons etc.) easy access and good spread of grades - if a bit polished. South facing so will be warm in summer,

Chris
OP PhilWS 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Tez29:

That would be great if you do. Memories of last year hunting around for an actual paper copy of the La Clape topo and then giving up and finding pdfs with a dodgy data signal!
OP PhilWS 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks for the info. By kid friendly was more meaning somewhere they could wait/ eat lunch at the bottom whilst I tried to sneak in a climb or two!
I did print out the guide that included Notre Dame last year so will hunt out and have a read later.
 JCurrie 05 Jan 2015
In reply to PhilWS:

Drive up to Targasonne?
 john arran 05 Jan 2015
In reply to PhilWS:

We were at La Clape last year and, although our little one was too small to be mobile at the time, I don't remember any real toddler hazards. The climbing is pleasant without being great, but the location is very convenient to combine with a beach visit and I expect we'll be there again one day.
 Tez29 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Tez29:

No worries, will try dig it out tonight.
 TimB 06 Jan 2015
In reply to PhilWS:

Hi Phil,

I've got an older pdf topo for Le Cardou - drop me a mail if you'd like a copy (I can't e-mail you through the site)

I don't know the crags around there very well, but I have had an afternoon in the Gorges de Pierre-Lys (at Cavirac), but I don't think that the sectors really count as family friendly. But it was cool enough to climb in the summer. This will almost certainly not be the case at La Clape.

Targasonne is a bit of a drive away, but it's not actually that far to drive over to Ax les Thermes (via Belcaire) for a trip to the Orlu boulders or even the crags around Tarascon.

There's also the incongruously large climbing wall at Belcaire if it rains.
OP PhilWS 06 Jan 2015
In reply to JCurrie:

Hi,

Thanks for that - I thought that Targasonne was mainly bouldering and I don't think the missus would be too happy with me throwing out her clothes to make room for a bouldering mat
OP PhilWS 06 Jan 2015
In reply to john arran:

We were also a La Clape last year (2nd and 3rd weeks of August) Did enjoy and was pretty good for the kids as well. I agree that it is good for the beach although the winds on Gruissan Plage can be pretty severe!
andyathome 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Notre Dame du Cross http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3876 north of Carcassonne might fit the bill - lovely area (chapel, streams, meadows, canyons etc.) easy access and good spread of grades - if a bit polished. South facing so will be warm in summer,

> Chris

Am hoping it will get a bit of sun in a couple of weeks' time as well
 Andrew Lodge 06 Jan 2015
In reply to PhilWS:

Another vote for Notre Dame du Cros, some great climbing there for families including some lower grade stuff that appears new and is not in the guide, you can down load the guide from a link on the crag page on UKC. Also great areas to explore if you want a break from climbing.

As regards to La Clape there are several areas and all have their merits depending on the grade spread you are looking for.

If you need a guide and they will not post to UK I can give you a French address to post it to and get it sent on to you, don't leave it till the last minute though.
OP PhilWS 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

Thanks for the offer. May take you up on it if I don't manage anything else.

Phil
 Tez29 09 Jan 2015
In reply to PhilWS:

I've got that topo if you want it. I can take pictures of the pages and attach them to an email, but you'll hae to give me your address.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...