UKC

Unnecessary long shoe laces

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dave mann 05 Jan 2015
Why are the laces on the Anasazi's so bloody long. Im forever accidently undoing them during climbs
 jezb1 05 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Tuck em in to the lacing, they'll never come undone again.
 Billhook 05 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:
> Why are the laces on the Anasazi's so bloody long. Im forever accidently undoing them during climbs

Try cutting them
Post edited at 21:15
 John Kelly 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:
>Try cutting them

but that approach tells us nothing about 'why they are so long'
OP dave mann 05 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Surely if they just reduced the length they could reduce the retail price too
 FactorXXX 05 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Go old school and wrap them around the sole of the shoe a couple of times.
 Reach>Talent 05 Jan 2015
In reply to jezb1:
"Tuck em in to the lacing, they'll never come undone again."

Seems like a good idea but creates horrible pressure points when jamming your feet into cracks.*

* I've suddenly realised I may be too soft to call myself a crack climber

OP dave mann 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Also I dont wish to tuck 20inches of lace on each foot every time I lace up. A simple manufacturer alteration will rectify the problem ie make them shorter.
In reply to dave mann:

I've noticed this on most of the footwear I've bought over many years. Leather shoes seem to be the exception. Maybe it's a sport-wear thing, they assume you'll want to double tie/knot them for security
Rigid Raider 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Er... why not just buy some shorter laces? Or shorten them and weld the end in a gas flame? Or just tie the knot and then loop the extra around the sole or the ankle?

Sheesh!
Lusk 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Put extra lacing holes in your booties to occupy that extra length.
 Billhook 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:
Perhaps the extra length is so they can be tied into loops or slings for those emergency moments?
 deepsoup 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> Seems like a good idea but creates horrible pressure points when jamming your feet into cracks.*
> * I've suddenly realised I may be too soft to call myself a crack climber

Could it be that you're jamming your foot too much, and camming it not enough?
You should really be in terrible pain as your foot is crushed side-side (and/or heel-toe) rather than top-bottom.

Oh, and I would buy some shorter laces in funky colours. Handy side-effect of making it easy to distinguish your shoes from everyone elses at the crag or wall.
 duchessofmalfi 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Q: "Why are the laces on the Anasazi's so bloody long?"

A: Various answers:

These boots have a lot of lace holes and need to be slackend off a long way down to remove them or get them on.

consequently you need a lot of lace because some people have fatter feet and because once you've loosened them off to the maximum to get your foot in the ends still need to protrude through the final eyelet.

Open your shoes to the maximum you'll ever need, leave ~4" and snip off the rest.

Mine do up so tight the edges are pressed together and I have masses of spare laces but when I open them up all that spare lace is needed to open the shoe without the lace coming back through the last hole.
 GrahamD 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Presumably they are so long so as to cater for different foot widths and boot sizes. In contrast to you most footwear I buy the laces are too short and I have to use a reef knot to tie them rather than a bow. Just a case of one size doesn't quite fit anyone !
OP dave mann 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

I do often tie a double/ treble knot but that tends to get messy. cutting laces , extra holes etc are all well and good, but it should be right in the first place. Buying new laces is yet another cost on top of an already expensive cost of a pair of climbing shoes.
Dont get me wrong I love the Anasazi but the laces are clearly too long and surprised that 5.10 hasnt sorted this obvious issue out.
I do think the same problem applies to other makes too.
Im surprised noones suggested velcro however im a lace up type of guy.
OP dave mann 06 Jan 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Fair point however you check and ask yourself how wide your foot would have to be to cater the extra lace.
 GrahamD 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

...Assuming the same lace was being re-used over the full range of boot sizes ?
In reply to GrahamD:

> Presumably they are so long so as to cater for different foot widths and boot sizes. In contrast to you most footwear I buy the laces are too short and I have to use a reef knot to tie them rather than a bow. Just a case of one size doesn't quite fit anyone !

Laces can be bought in different sizes. I have done so to replace badly sized laces.
 GrahamD 06 Jan 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Laces can be bought in different sizes. I have done so to replace badly sized laces.

True. But its unlikely that eg 5.10 will factory fit size xx shoes with a choice of yy length custom coloured laces. Especially as laces are going to get replaced long before anything else on the shoe in any case !
J1234 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Possibly this should be addressed at the next BMC area meeting http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=605286. How long would you like them to be?
Ste Brom 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Its the aglets I cant stand.
In reply to GrahamD:

I wear size 12s and they are as oversized as any laces. I should point out I don't have an issue with it I just think it is intentional.
 FactorXXX 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Maybe there was a mix up between metric and imperial on the drawing/specification...
Rigid Raider 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Buy your Mrs a nice tight corset and lace her into it; then you'll understand why long laces are necessary when there are multiple lace holes in a snug-fitting garment!
 krikoman 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

So you can hang yourself when it all gets too much for you.
 rooroo 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Buy some velcro ones Dave, they're better anyway
 johncook 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:
Maybe 5.10 current owners (adidas) think that 5.10 rock shoes will become a fashion item and sell more if they put funky long laces in them so the wearer doesn't have to bother tying them?
OP dave mann 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Ste Brom:

Aglets or eyelets?
 Oujmik 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

This thread has gone on far too long and the ratio of useful suggestions to pedantry is far too high. In an effort to address that consider this:

The laces, albeit too long, are necessary to hold the shoe on and therefore are not 'unnecessary long laces' rather 'unnecessarily long laces'.
 Siward 06 Jan 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Yep. Why are the laces on my size 12 plastic boots so short?
A: it's clearly a one size fits all approach for laces, if not boots.
 digby 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

The people who roll their eyes with comic exaggeration and say "duhh... just cut the ends off", have not considered the fact that this leaves a frayed end that won't go back through the eyelets.
 jezb1 06 Jan 2015
In reply to digby:

duhh... just cut them once they're already threaded.
In reply to SCrossley:

Not really an issue for a local area meeting. I think it really needs a UIAA committee to come up with a suitable specification, ultimately leading to an EN specification and CE certification. Why take unnecessary risks with your laces?
In reply to dave mann:

Aglets: the little sleeves at the ends of the laces that allow the lace to be threaded through the lacing eyelets. If you shorten the laces, these can be replaced by heat shrink sleeving, ideally with a hot-melt glue on the inner face.
 Timmd 06 Jan 2015
In reply to digby:

> The people who roll their eyes with comic exaggeration and say "duhh... just cut the ends off", have not considered the fact that this leaves a frayed end that won't go back through the eyelets.

It's my understanding that Selotape + frayed end + flame = a thread-able end.
 digby 06 Jan 2015
In reply to jezb1:

duhh what if the lace breaks? or you accidentally slacken them too far?
 digby 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Sellotape is even harder to deal with than overlong laces and frayed ends.

There's no getting round it. The laces on Anasazis are tooo long!
 jezb1 06 Jan 2015
In reply to digby:

Duhhh... Don't pull em so tight that they snap and tie a little knot in the ends if you're worried about pullin em through.

On a more sensible note I agree they're a little long but as I tuck all my laces into the lacing I've never considered it as being even remotely a problem.
OP dave mann 06 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:
I like a lot of the comments coming in. Some funny ,some good advice etc. Ive cut laces tucked them, treble knotted them and ive tried all the diy solutions to sort the matter in the past. However as a loyal customer to 5.10 and at 90quid a throw I feel 5.10 should be responsible for rectifying the problem. No other footwear i know have this problem. I dont buy a pair of shoes at 90pound to go with a suit only to cut the laces to a more suitable length. It seems to be just certain climbing shoes that have this issue.
Post edited at 20:41
 Timmd 07 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:
> I like a lot of the comments coming in. Some funny ,some good advice etc. Ive cut laces tucked them, treble knotted them and ive tried all the diy solutions to sort the matter in the past. However as a loyal customer to 5.10 and at 90quid a throw I feel 5.10 should be responsible for rectifying the problem. No other footwear i know have this problem. I dont buy a pair of shoes at 90pound to go with a suit only to cut the laces to a more suitable length. It seems to be just certain climbing shoes that have this issue.

You could see it as 'insurance' against a snapped lace, if your lace does snap, you'll either have just enough left to still lace your boot up, if you thread the good end through all the holes, or it'll be easier to manage with once you've tied it back together again? You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. ()
Post edited at 13:07
 Timmd 07 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:
PS, you mean 'unnecessarily', the laces themselves are necessary.

Whoopee I get to be a forum pedant... ()
Post edited at 16:46
 earlsdonwhu 07 Jan 2015
In reply to dave mann:

Go with a velcro model next time?

I have made the same observation with regard to some Salomon footwear. The shop suggested it was cheaper for Salomon to buy the same (long )length by the hundreds of thousand rather than get lots of different lengths made in smaller batches.

Seems a bit odd but plausible... economics must play a part somewhere though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...