UKC

N Wales with kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HakanT 06 Jan 2015
We're hiking Snowdon with a non-climbing family at the end of May over a long weekend. Basically, we will be in the area with one climbing day available. My question is where we should go. The kids (10 and 12) are proficient TR climbers, mostly gym rats. Ideally mid-range sport or trad with good top rope opportunities. Reasonably easy access would be good. Any suggestions?
 peterjb 06 Jan 2015
In reply to HakanT:
Little tryfan or idwal slabs as a trad warm up, then maybe one of the tryfan Classics if the weathers good, top out for evening light down the valley. If the weather is poor head to tremadog. Upper tier for top roping or progressive single pitch then a classic like pmp or similar. Lovely coastal views.

Ive taken similar age leading on twin ropes up easy classics to introduce them to the exposure and wonder of longer routes.
Post edited at 22:04
 jezb1 06 Jan 2015
In reply to HakanT:

The slate would make an awesome day out, more than enough to go at.
In reply to HakanT:

What jez said. Slate is great
 ianstevens 06 Jan 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

It is (I love the slate) but probably not that inspiring if you're 10/12 years old, as it does look rather like a hole in the ground. Ahem. As above, I think Tryfan Bach, Idwal Slabs or even Tryfan proper would make for a great day out. If you/they are really keen, you could head up Idwal Slabs and keep going until you reach the top of Cneifon Arete, making it as easy or hard (<E1) as needs be.
 squirrel00 07 Jan 2015
In reply to HakanT:

hi , the upper tier at tremadog is great , easy single pitch routes , bit of a steep walk in but only about 20 min , easy to to set up good belays , maybe a bit busy as its used by pyb and other instructors quite often , my 10 yr old loves it there nice little area for pinic at the bottom of the crag
 mike steele 07 Jan 2015
In reply to HakanT:

Better still if you are in the Snowdon area....head here...and enjoy the adrenaline rush
http://www.zipworld.co.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...