UKC

Do you change boots mid-mountain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pietrach 08 Jan 2015
Hi
I want to ask you for what you do when you do hill walking in winter conditions. I found the proper winter boots to be quite rigid and not very comfortable on approaches and normal walking. On top of that I often find them unnecessary in lower sections due to very little snow. However, you go higher up and there is more snow, more tricky conditions and the same boots that just annoyed me are now great. I now started considering starting the walks in lighter 3 season boots, with winter boots in the pack. Then change the boots when the right condition are met. Did you ever do / consider this?

Thank you
 davy_boy 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

i just wear my winter boots all day couldnt be bothered with the faff of changing at snow line.
i find modern b3 boots such as scarpa phantoms and jorasses great for the approach as there light and fairly easy to walk in compared to older heavy leather or plastic double boots.
 jezb1 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

Depends quite what your doing but I wouldn't normally swap, but people often walk into Ben Nevis, for example, in trainers before swapping to proper boots.

If you're just walking, you can get pretty comfy B1/2 boots that are plenty comfy enough for lots of walking.
 butteredfrog 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

No, just change your walking style to suit!

Adam
 dek 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:
I know what you mean! Have a look at the Dan Bailey review of the new Salewa boots with adjustments for walking in/approach to a full on B3 winter climbing boot.
I have seen folk use a lightweight trainer for a snow free approach, then stick on the 'big boots' at the snowline.You still have to find a way to carry them up though!
 John Kelly 09 Jan 2015
In reply to dek:

sportiva trango evolutions
 Euge 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

If your not climbing get flexible crampons.
I have strap on crampons which I use on walking boots (even climbed grade IV mixed in this set up!!!)

Euge
aultguish 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

Adjust your lace set up at the top of the boot, so as to provide more flex for walking.
 Doug 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

Back when I wore Koflach Ultras, I occasionally wore fell running shoes on walk ins to alpine routes, especially in the Ecrins, but never in Scotland. And with more modern boots I've just worn my hill boots for both the approach & the climb
 Fat Bumbly2 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Doug: Wearing placcys, I would always carry them in and change. With very wide feet, the pain on the walkout could have left me on the hill. I have always walked in pain, and barely get on the hill now, but would do anything to reduce it. Fabric boots are my friend.

JohnnyW 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:
Yes, I have done it many times in the Alps, but really only to huts in approach shoes, then B3s for the climb. Never in the UK. Our walks are rarely so long as to necessitate it. To be frank, you just need to get used to walking in big boots...it's part of the game. You may find if you do it more, you will get more used to the feeling too. Even with the amount of times I do walk in them, at the start of a season, they always feel heavy and stiff, but you soon get used to them again.

For comparison, my 3 season are Scarpa SLs, Asolo GTX, through my Trangos which swing both ways (ooer), and 4 season go old-style Mantas, Scarpa Cumbres and Sportiva Nepals

Haven't worn my placcies for 5 years+....though they have a place in my heart..............
Post edited at 13:27
 loose overhang 10 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

This is not a direct response to the OP's question, but I had a revelation last summer. I did a long hike in sandals and took along my regular summer hiking boots. I managed to walk through small patches of late-season snow by being careful. I did not put on my hiking boots.

I thought I'd try it again, and throughout the rest of the summer I walked in the same sandals. I did take along a pair of trail runners, but hardly ever used them, mostly on the descent. I was able to climb class 3 and 4 scrambles in the sandals. It made me think more carefully about where I would place my feet and I think it contributed to my feet being not so "beat up" after the hikes.

Last year in December I went for a trek to Annapurna Base Camp. I walked up and down in sturdy hiking boots, now, after last summer I think sandals could have been a better footwear.

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges for conditions, but it is worth considering going as light as possible. I was surprised at how many peaks, about ten, I was able to top out on wearing sandals.
 Banned User 77 10 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

I used tp in NZ, lower down there was often lots of creek crossings, so I'd just carry fell shoes for those and then put my plastics on at the snow line.. it meant getting wet feet wasnt an issue.
 kwoods 11 Jan 2015
In reply to loose overhang:

I've had a similar experience. I spent a summer climbing the Scottish Munros and used trainers for maybe 250 of them - worked very well. My only issue was the arch of my feet getting battered due to a soft sole, so boots went on for the Cuillin and Torridon. Have done Liathach and Eighe in sandals at other points.

On the subject of winter though, I just bought a pair of La Sportiva Trango Alps a few weeks ago and can't believe how much dexterity I get in them, similar to trainers actually. Quite mind blowing how well these things are made.
 sbc_10 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

This approach (!) tries to solve the problem. Salewa Pro Guide.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6212

They don't seem a ridiculous price either.....where's the catch ?? Maybe heavier.
In reply to loose overhang:

The first time I did a hike with a significant amount of snow was in sandals.

I was about 10, and my dad and I were doing a walk low on the shoulder of Mt. Shasta in California. On the walkers map at the base of the trail was a WARNING sign, explaining that there would be snow, it would be treacherous, etc. My dad explained to me that this was only in winter and we had nothing to worry about (he isn't a keen hillwalker...) so off we marched. Eventually even my dad couldn't deny that a significant number of people had big boots, ice axes, ropes and other foreign and complex gear. When we hit the snowline we just kept going, there was a particular shot of the mountain my dad wanted to get. We did get a lot of bemused looks, but we were both perfectly happy.

Looking back, I realise the bemused looks were similar to those I now give a lot of people who go into the mountains totally unprepared...
 Jimmy1976 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

I've seen a couple of people walking into Ben Nevis with crocs (they did have poles to help)when there was still a lot of snow and ice about. They then disappeared into the cic hut and came out with b3 boots on. Not that I was jealous like.
Removed User 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

If there is a long walk in/out on a track or hard ground which doesn't require big boots I'll wear trainers/fell shoes with sealskinz socks until I need the boots. I have done a couple of walks where my Sportiva Nepals stayed in my pack.
 loose overhang 11 Jan 2015
In reply to kwoods:

Also I'm replying to Bob,

This winter I'll be looking for a back-up pair of sandals for next year. The ones I used are Tevas which are very well made. I think I'll also be on the lookout for a pair of discounted approach shoes so that the steeper rocky summit sections are more "do able"

A single walking pole is also essential gear. I'm impressed by the amount of very light-weight good quality gear around these days. I started going up into the mountains back in the 70s and I thought the gear then was pretty good, but it doesn't compare very well with what we have these days.

With the mostly accurate weather forecasts available now we can have pleasant and comfortable day and overnight trips without taking much of the heavy "just in case" things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...