UKC

Boots question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Potemkin 11 Jan 2015
Hi
Just got back from a week in Austria, where I rented some Salomon boots which were great. Comfortable, and stiffer than I'm used to, which felt good.

I usually struggle to get boot to fit. I event went to a boot fitter once who sold me the most painful boots I've ever had. Threw them away after a season. So, I'm delighted to find something "off the shelf" that fits so well. I'm thinking that this the best test of whether these boots are good for me or not. They had been used for a couple of seasons, so I'm guessing liners had packed down.

Off to Chamonix later this month, and thinking about buying those boots new. They're on the internet 100-150 cheaper than in stores, so quite a good buy I think. Question- would you agree that this is a safe bet? My local boot fitter (bicester) is busy until after I come back, so I can't go there and get their opinion. And anyway, what could they tell me that that a week in the boots couldn't?
 AdrianC 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Potemkin:

So, I'm delighted to find something "off the shelf" that fits so well. I'm thinking that this the best test of whether these boots are good for me or not. They had been used for a couple of seasons, so I'm guessing liners had packed down.

Beware of the packing down. If the boot fits you perfectly and feels comfortable right out of the box then it's too big and once the inner has compressed a little you'll be wallowing in it. Buy them just too tight and get the inners moulded to fit you.
OP Potemkin 11 Jan 2015
In reply to AdrianC:

Thanks for the reply. Speedy!
I meant to say that the hire boots I wore had been used for a couple of seasons. I guess the liners had therefore packed down. These fitted me well.

If I bought them new in the same size, I'd expect them to feel a little tight until the liners compressed. Which I think is what you were saying.
 minimike 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Potemkin:

Yup, you're lucky in that case. That woul work fine.. Only issue is your skiing level. If you're still progressing or hoping to then you might want stiffer boots soon and regret buying beginner ones (most rental boots are beginner/soft, even 'intermediate' ones). I want for 100 flex for my first pair after 6 weeks skiing, although flex ratings are super variable. Don't get anything less than 80 for sure though.

HTH, mike
OP Potemkin 11 Jan 2015
In reply to minimike:

Thanks Mike - good advice. I was using the 120s, but found I was sitting back too much at speed - thinking a 110 might give me more ability to bend the boots forwards at speed.
 minimike 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Potemkin:

I now ski 110s after about 12 weeks and they handle anything I do (all piste, some easy off). Just get the brand that fits your feet. Also be aware that the shell of a 9 and a 9.5 are the same but the inner is thicker on the 9.5. Therefore a half size will typically pack out a bit more than a full size (although not to the extent of being as big as the half size below, if that makes sense?). Mine felt tight but comfy in the shop but like hell the first week and didn't feel 'right' until the 3rd or 4th, but now they're perfect. Also I didn't bother with mouldable insoles and just stuck green super feet from my leather boots in them.. Works for me!
OP Potemkin 11 Jan 2015
In reply to minimike:

Thanks Mike. Nice idea! I'll try that.
 minimike 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Potemkin:

No probs, Which salomons are you looking at btw?
OP Potemkin 12 Jan 2015
In reply to minimike:
Salomon x pro. Good deals to be found online. Cheapest I saw was 170, but that went quickly. Otherwise about 220. 330 in Ellis Brigham
 Jack_Lewin 12 Jan 2015
In reply to Potemkin:

You were lucky, and the boots probably a bit too big. The fact that your bootfitter is booked up shows that it's a service worth paying for!

Head to Brighams in Mk or can reccomend these in Chamonix:

http://www.thebootroom.fr/eng/Home.html
OP Potemkin 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Jack_Lewin:
Thanks for the fitter recommendation.

Actually I don't think this was luck - quite the opposite. My point is that boot fitter let me down in the past. There's nothing like hiring different boots to get a feel for which ones are best for you. Skiing a week in them is the best advice....

As for size, they're perfect. But again I got to change as many times as I wanted so found the right size for me by using them rather than asking some guy in a shop. And I saved over a hundred pounds on the boots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...