UKC

BKool Trainer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nevis-the-cat 11 Jan 2015
Has anyone got one of those BKool trainers?

Living in the arse end of nowhere the roads are a death trap after dark so I'm looking at pedalling in the garage instead.

ta

andymac 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

I got a Tack Booster ,but looked at the BKool.

Didn't want to spend that much though.

I like the turbo ,but everyone is telling me I should have gone for rollers instead.

cathsullivan 12 Jan 2015

I looked at one in a shop on Saturday but I reckon its a bit of a gimmick really. Also, I couldn't quite find out whether it works offline and it could end up being a bit inflexible if you have to get a decent internet connection every time you want to use it. I often don't have a good internet connection at home, especially on wifi. I'm also a bit wary of what you actually get, in terms of the routes/video without paying a premium subscription (and of the fact that this could change at a later date - e.g., I think the video is currently free). Also, I'm not convinced I would ever really get into live online racing with other people.

I am leaning more towards getting a standand turbo that will work will a rear wheel sensor and my garmin and just downloading videos like the sufferfest vidoes. I can probably do that for a total cost of about £180, even without getting the cheapest turbo.

I considered rollers but I have read that they are better for training bike handling, balance and core strength than for doing intervals (at least until you have got very proficient at riding them) and it's intervals that I want to do. As I'm new to road biking and know how long it would take me to learn to ride on the rollers (having tried it) I think a turbo will be best for me for now.
 dustyrat 12 Jan 2015
I've just signed up to the 30 day free trial, if you decide to keep after that period they invoice you monthly, which makes it more affordable too.
Premium subscription is free with the pro model and the software is pretty good, data can be exported and imported i.e. Garmin files from Outdoor rides, to include in your plan.
During my session yesterday the app went "offline" but when I'd finished the ride, the data was there and hadn't been lost.
Premium subscription also offers "all you can eat" and you can upload your own video/gps rides, unlike the Tacx were you have to buy a PC link, individual videos etc. I sent my Bushido Smart back, it was impossible to pair / calibrate and crashed frequently.
Post edited at 15:06
OP Nevis-the-cat 17 Jan 2015

Thanks guys.

I think I'll look at the 30 day trial and see how it goes. if it is rubbish i'll bin it but if it can drag me into th garage and do a few turbo sessions a week then it'll be worth it.

martin22 25 Feb 2015

I've just been looking at these as well, how are you guys getting on with it? did you keep it after the 30day trial?

thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...