UKC

Mallorca climbing at Easter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 12 Jan 2015
Hello
I am just trying to find out logistics,crags etc for this.

I have been wanting to go for a number of years, but am not sure if it's going to be such a relaxing holiday. Looks like a lot of driving to get to various crags. Also flights and accommocation seem to be quite expensive for a cheapo climber travelling from Scotland. It's three of us (including a five year old). Any experiences and suggestions? Would like to avoid holiday hotspots with towerblocks and clubbing preferably. Looking to go climbing most days, preferably not too much driving and climbing followed by beach etc

Cheers
Heike
 AdamCB 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Heike:

No expert by any means but I went with friends in September and stayed in a village called Deia, very pretty mountainous location and I think reasonably close to the climbing areas, I only climbed one day at Sa Gubia but it wasn't much of a drive. Not great beach wise, but certainly not a towerblocks and clubbing sort of place.
 IPPurewater 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Heike:

Heike, there are refuges close to climbing areas and hostels available in Mallorca.

Have a look at this link
http://infomallorca.net/turismo/categorias/ficha.en.html?cc=52

Oliver Houston 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Heike:

Mallorca's pretty small, so drivings not much of an issue, it takes maybe an hour to get from Palma to anywhere. Maybe more of an issue if you're in the mountains, or port soller (mountain pass/toll tunnel access).

We went in April '12 and it was warm enough to be shade-chasing for climbing in the morning. Beaches in the afternoon, sea was pretty cold, but apparently by May it's warm enough to swim.

We were in a villa near port pollenca, which was great for us, the toutist hotspots are magaluf and the south-east coast (very built up).
 Robert Durran 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Heike:

Although wonderfully scenic, driving in the mountains is very slow, so for crag access it is best to stay south of the mountains with easy access to the main fast road from Palma to Pollensa and drive north off this to your selected venue each day. Although not central, Pollensa is quite nice (none of the horrors of the worst resorts) with good access to beaches.
 silhouette 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Heike:

Two adults and a five-year old? Are you going to meet any more adults when you get there? It sounds like a recipe for disaster for two people to expect to climb whilst a small child wanders around bored and unsupervised. It's not even fair on the other climbers at the crag who will be worried about the child's safety and unable to concentrate on their belaying. I do speak from experience.
OP Heike 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

Cheers, Robert, that's what I was thinking. Confirmed our thoughts. I found a few nice places in the Pollensa area. It's just that we first looked at Soller and it looked like you had to go through the tunnel everyday and then wherever you want thereafter. I think we'll go for it. Looking good otherwise.
OP Heike 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Heike:

Cheers everyone else, I think we'll be looking to stay at Pollensa then. Great, can't wait.

Any other useful info very much welcome!! Any good unmissable routes, etc.

OP Heike 17 Jan 2015
In reply to silhouette:
What are you on about? I have no idea.

OP Heike 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Oliver Houston:

We found a really nice place now, should be able to drive to any of the locations, cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...