UKC

building site trousers as climbing trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cake 13 Jan 2015
Has anyone experimented with using tough work trousers for rock climbing? I currently use the cheapest pair of polyester tracky bottoms I can find so that when I tear them on some rock they can be cheaply replaced. I've never bought proper climbing trousers because they seem to be either too baggy to be sensible for trad, or otherwise, too flimsy for the task of udging up chimney,etc (given the price).

So I considered something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hyena-snowdon-work-trousers-brown-grey-30-w-32-34...

Or maybe an even cheaper version for £12.The main point being that they are meant to be really tough, reinforced knees, etc and good value for what you get. I guess they just might not be flexible enough.

Any thoughts? Anybody own any for work that definitely wouldn't recommend them for climbing?
 deacondeacon 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:
I wear work trousers everyday and they're pretty heavy compared to climbing trousers. Also they tend not to have elasticated tops so you'll need to wear a belt which is pretty annoying with a harness on.

MeMeMe 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

The teflon coating may increase everything by a grade or so!
OP Cake 13 Jan 2015
In reply to MeMeMe:

Why?
 noteviljoe 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

Was thinking the same thing just yesterday. Additionally just getting some as everyday trousers - particularly for looking after the kids - as I always seem to wear through stuff stupidly fast.

Howeve, Worried someone would think I was trying to pretend to be a 'workman' and also those flappy pockets look a bit odd.
 pneame 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

We found that these types of jeans were most appropriate - the flares make you look quite cool when standing on small holds.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61KJiICXizL._UL1500_.jpg
 ben b 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

There was someone selling some second hand Cactus Dreadnoughts on here a while back. They tend not to wear out for a decade so in terms of quid/year will be cheaper than the Screwfix ones in the end.

Cheers

b
 MeMeMe 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

Well won't the Teflon coating be a bit slippy when urging up chimneys? A pair on jeans and a grippy fleece definitely makes some climbing a lot easier

Are you going for them then? I'd be a worried that they don't fit well because presumably you can't try stuff on from screwfix?
 yodadave 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

quite common in the US to climb in work trousers, Carrharts/Dickies. But they tend to be cotton and a lot cleaner lines, ie not 64 pockets to get in the way.
OP Cake 15 Jan 2015
In reply to MeMeMe:

I'd not thought Teflon could be slippy. I guess you're right. Perhaps just some strong cotton ones then That would only be about £15. Anyone else think that they are too inflexible, or know which makes have a lot of room?

Owen
 Jenny C 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

What about a pair of army surplus combat trousers?
Hard wearing and like climbing trousers they are cut to allow a full range of movement.
 Oldsign 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

I got some no name work pants from the local building supplies place and they're heavy as buggery. If you could find a light pair you be laughing though.
markwynneuk 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

Try some marks and spencer "comfort stretch" jeans. They have lots of styles and are even cheaper than the work trousers and don't look that strange worn as everyday trousers. I have climbed in them and they work well. Save some money.
 Oogachooga 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

Asda tracksuit bottoms. Ten quid. Flexible and light.
Parrys_apprentice 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

Thread juxtaposition coincidence? Probably not.

- He was inappropriately dressed for the mountain...
- building site trousers as climbing trousers

Although they are called Snowdon.
 Ian Bentley 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

having forgot my clothes to change into going to the wall / crag straight from work I have climbed in work trousers (dickies redhawk). They are heavy, but I found lack of stretch to be the most annoying thing. They also have zips which can be quite uncomfortable if you're doing something like chimneying. and if they get wet they stay wet.

I generally wear craghopper kiwi stretch trousers and love them. haven't worn through a pair yet, they dry quickly, they're the comfiest trousers I have, they have some nice features,and aren't too pricy if you shop around or get them in the sale.
OP Cake 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

Well, it looks like the consensus is that there is not one, so I'll stick with the really cheap polyester until something jums out at me. Cheers
 Timmd 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

I'm thinking baggy Cordura trousers could be worth looking into/looking for.

Baggy so there is more freedom of movement...
 JEF 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

I wear a pair of cheap trousers from mountain warehouse, £15.
A chalk bag belt to hold them up doesn't interfere with my harness.
llechwedd 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> Baggy so there is more freedom of movement...

If that 's you style, you can get the 1990's Llanberis retro look for £11.

Type in 'clowns trousers' on Ebay.
 Timmd 17 Jan 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

Not 'that' baggy, just baggier than not baggy.
 RichardP 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

if you look at they crutch of a pair of climbing trousers they tend to have a elongate diamond panel that you wont have in a normal pair of trousers. (obviously training bottoms with Lycra are different)
this is so you can open you legs wider for stretchy move or even high step-ups.
as a result the snickers (which is the make I own) would be restrictive.)
OP Cake 18 Jan 2015
In reply to RichardP:

I know about the extra material in the gusset on climbing trousers, but I have found over the course of many pairs of trousers that only the most restrictive of jeans make a difference, and I am particularly flexible and do very flexible moves moves a lot.
 tmawer 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

I buy my trousers for climbing in a charity shop, cheap, supports a charity and makes not a jot of difference to my climbing so long as they fit......I think there is so much hype around clothing for the outdoors, rock climbing in particular.
 jwa 18 Jan 2015
My mate often turns up for midday climbs at the climbing wall in work trousers but that's just because he's taking time off during his working day. He's never complained about their effect on his climbing and he's even done a whole session with the knee pads in.
 Siward 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Jenny C:

Combats are fine so long as you get polycotton ones rather than the 100% cotton.

My winter legwear for many years was a pair of those plus some 100% polyester trackies underneath- modern kit hasn't really bettered that combination.
 mattrm 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:

I have a pair of trousers designed for tree surgeons, tough as nails and has a diamond gusset for flexibility. AborWear is the make iirc. I love them.
In reply to mattrm:

Doesn't the wadding for clogging the chain make them bulky, cumbersome and a little hot?
 douwe 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Cake:
I've never worn any work trousers I would go climbing in. Too heavy and usually also too many pockets and loops for tools sticking out.
If you don't want to shell out the cash for a trousers specifically made for climbing, I would go for an old pair of jeans.
Post edited at 18:28
 mattrm 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

No wadding. They're not chainsaw safety trousers, just tough as nails work trousers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...