UKC

Driving conditions in the Lakedistrict

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SophieEmily 15 Jan 2015
Driving to langdale a week today (Thursday 22nd) after work... Any idea what the roads are like at the moment/ the least dangerous route to langdale (I realise there are only about two). Coming from the south/m6.

Any info would be much appreciated . Thanks.
 Bob 15 Jan 2015
In reply to SophieEmily:

It's really quite rare that the valley roads are troublesome and when they are then most other roads will be in the same state. At this time of year asking what the roads will be like tomorrow is hard enough let alone next week. Basically M6 - Kendal - Windermere - Ambleside - Skelwith Bridge - Langdale is the default route.
In reply to SophieEmily:

> Any idea what the roads are like at the moment/ the least dangerous route to langdale (I realise there are only about two). Coming from the south/m6.

The roads are fine apart from potholes, tree debris and local flooding. It is impossible to predict a week ahead but if you are worried about driving a recommendable strategy would be to get a set of winter tyres and four-wheel drive.
 ewar woowar 15 Jan 2015
In reply to SophieEmily:

Currently clear though windy so tree debris may become a factor!
deleted 15 Jan 2015
No problems today except a few minor floods. Temp at valley level was 5-6 degrees. Minor tree debris here and there. A bit different on the tops where progress on all fours was needed at times due to the wind and icy patches of snow. A few snow showers expected down to valley level over the next few days. The met office mountain forecasts are quite useful. They usually give enough information to make an educated guess about road conditions if you keep an eye on the forecasts every day.
 John Kelly 15 Jan 2015
In reply to SophieEmily:
ring 015394 37668, NT Campsite, on the day if you're worried 8.30-10.30 am or 3pm- 5pm
B5343, its a bus route so gritted and ploughed, very rarely impassable
Post edited at 21:03
 Wesley Orvis 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Cumberland:
Snow plough by next Thursday looking at the weather models
OP SophieEmily 19 Jan 2015
Thanks very much all. I realise it is difficult to predict a week before but thought I'd get the post in. Cheer for your help. Looking forward to the trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...