UKC

Chamonix granite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kingjam 16 Jan 2015
Quick bit of advice heading out to champion with the plan of climbing rock routes on the envers or around tacul , A'm . I can climb lead V+ and probably second VI+ but the grading systems in the French guide books are leaving me a bit puzzled as its a combination of a French sports grade and alpine grade.

How do people generally work these out for instance there are routes on the envers that have grades TD/ED/ABO but the french grade is 6a+. What would this be in equivalent on the UIAA scale or even better uk Trad grade .

Possibly there isnt an answer to this short of rocking up and taking a look but thought i would ask
 rhoppen 16 Jan 2015
In reply to kingjam:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/comptable.html

Alpine grades are a bit different. Every publisher uses another system to determine the alpine grade. That's why in one book the route is graded D and in the other AD+ and vice versa. Has to do with length, steepness, commitment and climbing grades.

Kirill 16 Jan 2015
In reply to kingjam:

I think this http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=132048 is given F6a+ in the book. It felt about E2 5c.
 Rob Parsons 16 Jan 2015
In reply to kingjam:
For those kind of rock routes, if you have a full topo with French grades, then the alpine grades are (in my opinion) an irrelevance.
Post edited at 10:44
 planetmarshall 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> For those kind of rock routes, if you have a full topo with French grades, then the alpine grades are (in my opinion) an irrelevance.

Indeed. Though you can apply a bit of common sense, for example the 'TD+' of a modern part-bolted route like Bienvenue au Georges V (TD+ 6a+) is not the same as the 'TD+' of the The North Face (TD+ 6a).
OP kingjam 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I think that makes sense , thanks all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...