UKC

BD Viper Laser picks for Scottish winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeStuart 17 Jan 2015
So I bought my BD Vipes 2nd hand a few years ago and they had the Laser picks (B-rated) fitted as standard; so far I have only used them in the Alps where they coped fine.

Do people who have Vipers think it is worth buying a pair of Titan (T-rated) picks for Scotland, just wondering how necessary it actually is? I guess then I can save the Laser picks (and sharpen them up) for when I head to Rjukan in March.

Thoughts!?

Cheers

Mike

aldo56 17 Jan 2015
In reply to MikeStuart26:

I bent a laser pick striking rock under snow and so upgraded to the stronger ones.
 HeMa 17 Jan 2015

Lasers are mainly for ice... so if you plan on climbing other than ice, perhaps get some Fusion picks. At least I did enjoy them fusion picks last year, when I visited Scotland.

Titan in my opinion isn't really any better than laser (albeit a tad stronger, but it's still designed for ice), at least for mixed or mountains...
 climber34neil 17 Jan 2015

Hi mike, I use vipers with standard laser picks in Scotland and have had no problems with them, used mainly on face and gully routes, I guess if you are looking to do full on mixed routes then probably best to change them otherwise though you probably be ok

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...