UKC

Old Friends

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 obi-wan nick b 18 Jan 2015
I have a set of WC Friends bought in the 80s. I think one may have taken a small fall once. I replace the tapes periodically - wires are in good condition. So what can possibly go wrong - do I need to replace them? Thanks in advance...
 tmawer 18 Jan 2015
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

I think they will be fine; as you say, given that you change the parts that may deteriorate, "what can go wrong"?
 Andy Peak 1 18 Jan 2015

If you doubt them replace them!
If they have bean stored in a dry low humidity environment they will probably be fine with new tapes on, send them to wild country for tape replacement and ask their opinion.
 gethin_allen 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Peak 1:
"send them to wild country for tape replacement and ask their opinion."

No point, they won't do any work on cams over 10 years old.

goose299 18 Jan 2015

I'd replace the tapes and use them
In reply to Andy Peak 1: Thanks for the reply I don't doubt them I just wondered if I should for any reason as WC stop replacing the tapes and wires after 10 years....

goose299 18 Jan 2015

That'll be health and safety. As they'd liable if they said you can use them indefinitely
 AlanLittle 18 Jan 2015

> So what can possibly go wrong - do I need to replace them?

IMO: nothing, no

I still have a set. They only come out occasionally these days where I think I might need doubles, because the new cams I have (Totems and Demons) are lighter and handle better, but I have no qualms at all about the safety of the old ones. With new slings, obviously.

Rick Graham 18 Jan 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

I dont worry either about the age of cams, just get a bit pissed off how often the trigger wires break.

Some very old cams seem to have wobbly lobes, either though wear or overloading in falls.
Use these cautiously as the lobes could more easily collapse sideways in a fall especially in rounded pockets.

New kit is always going to be stronger than used but still probably strong enough - Hopefully.

Just be sensible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...