UKC

boots for all weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bluewater 20 Jan 2015
Can somebody suggest good one?
 wbo 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Bluewater: mountaineering boots? Do you want to wear crampons?

Bluewater 20 Jan 2015
In reply to wbo:

mountaineering boots
In reply to Bluewater:

For a general 3/4 season boot, I've used Scarpa SLs for over 25 yrs. Capable around boot that lasts years if maintained though it's not for the full 4 seasons, but still good and more than able with walking crampons in general winter walking situations.
 JohnnyW 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Agreed, and the newer models are even better. If you are looking for a true all-rounder, they'd be mine.
m0unt41n 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Bluewater:

I use to get about 18 months wear out of last two versions of the SLs and usually the leather would get fairly badly cracked along the uppers where it flexes. Now with the present Activ version I wear out the sole within 12 to 15 months. The rubber seems quite a bit softer. I treat them really carefully, given the cost, wash them after use and use the Scarpa cream on them every 5th or so days of use. None the less they are ideal general purpose boot.
 wbo 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Bluewater: I personally prefer a different upper to leather so I'd say Scarpa Manta/Rebel Lite or Charmoz, or La Sportiva Trango S Alp or Evo, depending on feet. I reckon they'd take you from summer alps to some Scottish winter

Bluewater 30 Jan 2015
In reply to wbo:
Somebody recommend a online shop http://www.engelbert-strauss.co.uk/
they have lots of good stuff

Many thanks everybody
Post edited at 10:03
 Wingnut 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Bluewater:

Another vote for Scarpa SLs. Had three pairs of the things as "do everything" boots over the last fifteen years or so, wish they still did them in my size.
 herbe_rouge 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluewater:

Lowa Combat or mountain GTX, they're good for years, extremely comfortable, durable and fine with a C1,,,,,,
 PPP 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluewater:

I climbed few Grade II routes today in Scarpa SL. I also walked West Highland Way in 3 days while wearing Scarpa SL. For both tasks, they were not the greatest - too soft and a little bit cold (if you sit/stand for a long time) for winter and too stiff and heavy for summer.

I would go for proper mountaineering B2/B3 boots and then cheap shoes for summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...