UKC

The best tablet at the moment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 22 Jan 2015
My ASUS TF300T is struggling with its failing battery and is becoming infuriatingly sluggish. Not to mention that I have never sucessfully been able to get the auto-correction to work.

So, what is the best Android tablet out there at the moment. Sorry, no suggestions or jokes about getting an apple tablet as I'm plugged into the Android eco-system.

Cheers muchly
OP The Lemming 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Hopeful bump
 Siward 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Galaxy note pro 12.2's have come down in price recently. I was considering getting one (because I would value the screen size for work) but am on the verge of getting a Surface Pro 3 instead.
In reply to Siward:

I too am liking the Surface Pro 3 but the price of the keyboard is putting me off.

That's a lot of cash for a Window's 8 product.
 1poundSOCKS 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

> That's a lot of cash for a Window's 8 product.

Can't you get a version with a cut down Windows OS a lot cheaper? Plus it comes with MS Office for free I believe.
 noteviljoe 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

My Galaxy tab pro 8.4 fits my needs perfectly. Ace size, very thin and sharp display. Was definatly best thing at its price point (£230) When I bought it.
 NottsRich 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I've got a Nexus 7, and I used it in place of a laptop for over a year. Writing documents/CVs, editing spreadsheets, watching films, video editing. I paid £110 for it. 25gb of storage, and it accepts external storage/keyboard/mouse as well. WiFi only, although there was a SIM/WiFi version as well.

Serious question - what is the benefit of a more expensive tablet!?
In reply to NottsRich:

> Serious question - what is the benefit of a more expensive tablet!?

I'm not after the most expensive android tablet, but the best/future-proof product available at the moment. However there is too much out there and I don't want to buy a piece of crap that will get slower and slower within a year.

Just been to PC Land and seen a Nexus 9 and apple ipad air in the flesh. The Nexus 9 does seem a little small compared to my ASUS transformer Pad and not all that bigger than a Nexus 7.

Is a 64bit android operating system worth getting, or is it a marketing ploy seeing as it has taken many many years before Window's bit the bullet and offered 64bit operating systems.

It would seem that Android kit is roughly the same price as apple kit but both don't play nicely with each other. Or should I correct that, apple kit does not play nicely with the other children in the school playground, which is why I'm hoping for android kit.

Dave Reeve 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I bought a Tesco Hudl 2 which gets good reviews and for the price seems very good - the only real downside is that battery life is not as good as some other tablets apparently...
 icnoble 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

It has to be a galaxy.
 The New NickB 23 Jan 2015
In reply to icnoble:

> It has to be a galaxy.

Any reason? Apart from it is what you have got.
 Aigen 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I have an Asus TF700. It's awful. I saved up for ages and regret it so much. Never again Asus will you get my money.
In reply to Aigen:

> I have an Asus TF700. It's awful. I saved up for ages and regret it so much. Never again Asus will you get my money.

You and me both.

When I first got my ASUS it was great, updates upon updates keeping my toy ahead of the hurd. But that was until their final update, which was well over a year ago. And that update ruined the tablet completely. Guess what, ASUS knew about the problem but washed their hands, globally.

So, I will never ever buy an ASUS table again, even if they provided free blow-jobs.
 r0b 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

At work today a guy who really knows his stuff when it comes to tablets highly recommended the Hudl.
 Steve nevers 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

While the subjects going can anyone suggest a decent 'pack-sized' tablet that would be good to general on the move use?

Doesn't need to be anything fancy and new either, just want something for topo pdfs, maps and the like and just having in the bag as my new laptop is frigging massive and a pain in the arse for carrying about.
In reply to Steve nevers:

I'd go for a nexus 7 or hudl to fit in a rucsac.
 alasdair19 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Steve nevers:

a phone? i can see OS 50k maps perfectly well on mine.
 Si dH 26 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

My hudl2 is excellent, its a budget option but I've not found anything yet that something else would be better for unless you want a 10' screen.
OP The Lemming 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Si dH:

Its a 10 inch screen size that I'm interested in.
 illepo 26 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Will 2nd the Hudl.

I have a hudl 2 and i think it's brill. I have used it for mainly writing docs and browsing and it has done these well. It would be better if i had a wireless keyboard but as yet my usage does not justify it. The display is pretty sharp and i was impressed. For the price compared to others i don't think you can beat it.
 Dr Toph 26 Jan 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I got the TF701t (definitely sounded recommended over the 700) and I was getting a bit dishearted with it recently, until I did some digging and found the issue was some googleplay update that was screwing with the OS, killing the battery life, keyboard behaviour etc. Asus released a major OS update in late december that fixed everything and now its running like a charm, but I had to go looking for it. So double check you have the latest kernel before giving up on yer transformer. Great bit of kit IMHO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...