UKC

Pyrenees Coast to Coast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lnn 23 Jan 2015
Hi,

Thinking of cycling this in June over about two weeks with stops for hill wanderings, with bike touring kit and camping. Also thinking of using Bike Express for the journey to/from.

Any top tips? Routes? Experience of using Bike Express?

Cheers
 Batcloud 23 Jan 2015
In reply to lnn:

I look forward to reading replies.

I'd also be interested to hear if it's likely I could get a place on Bike Express back from Rosas or Lourdes around late May if I leave it until a day or 2 before?
 Chris Harris 23 Jan 2015
In reply to lnn:

The north-south nature of the projecting ridges means that you either have to keep a fair way north & make forays southwards into the higher areas , or cycle over quite a lot of the Cat 1 TDF cols if you want to keep closer to the border.
In reply to lnn:
You could do the Raid Pyrenean route, it is 100 hours from Atlantic to the Med. But you could obviously take as long as you want. Stop off at Gavernie, small diversion up the road, and Luchon and climb some peaks.
Sounds like a good trip. Might try it myself!
 jethro kiernan 23 Jan 2015
In reply to lnn:

Looking at doing the raid but supported through one of the many companies (shame Enty doesnt do a Raid) any recomendations?
 SteveD 23 Jan 2015
In reply to lnn:

I've done the Pyreneen C2C as a supported tour (someone else carried the bags) and also done some cycle touring there fully loaded.

Supported was more fun! Doing the Col du Tourmalet on a loaded touring bike was challenging to say the least.

The area is great for touring as long as you don't mind challenging climbs, generally speaking the hills are steeper on the east side, avoiding them requires long detours north and kind of misses the point IMO.

The road surface can be quite rough with large, loose gravel on some surfaces, we saw a nasty accident where a motorcyclist came off and scraped his foot down to the bone. For us it led to some discomfort in the hands on long descents (they're all long descents!)

The campsites we stayed in were nice and there is a cyclists B&B at the bottom of the hill between CdT and Col D'Aspen but you might have to book.

Can't comment on the coach as we went down by train the first time and flew the second.

SteveD
Removed User 23 Jan 2015
In reply to lnn:

Hi. I've no experience of Bike Express but I've done some cycling in the Pyrenees, both on a light road bike and on a tourer with tent etc. Both hugely enjoyable, in different ways. I'd say go as light as possible and if you want to go walking as well take some fell/trail shoes which weigh little. Toiling up big cols on a heavy tourer a very mellow experience, with added pain of course. Pick a low gear, spin for a couple of hours and enjoy the scenery.

If you can afford the time and you don't mind more climbing, head up to the Pont D'Espagne above Cauterets and walk up the Gaube and/or Marcadau valleys, both are among the most beautiful in the Pyrenees. Gavarnie is a must, very developed and busy but for a good reason. You can also ride up the Voie Fignon on the E side of the Tourmalet and access the Lac d'Oredon area from the hairpin. Then there's Lac d'Oo and Refuge d'Espingo and options up the Orlu valley further east.
lnn 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Everyone

Hi, thanks for all the info- was thinking of the raid route and just taking our time and having some low gears! We will be aiming to go as light as possible and fell shoes to run some peaks on days off. Will investigate the suggestions, probably headed west to east then.
We'll try bike express and give some feedback then as doesn't seem many have used it.
 s1362083 24 Jan 2015
In reply to lnn:

I did the Haute Route Pyrenees route from Barcelona to Biarritz with ultralight camping gear. It was a great ride but the climbs are steep for a loaded road bike. Plenty of route info and gpx files on the internet for that so the whole thing can be planned in a couple of hours.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...