UKC

Scarpa SL - Alternatives?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wingnut 26 Jan 2015
Current pair of SLs (third pair running) are coming to the end of their useful life, and, while I would happily buy a fourth pair, they no longer seem to be available in my size.

Any suggestions for alternatives? Looking for something built on a similar last and to a similar spec (B1 rated, preferably non-goretex), available in a UK 6/euro 40.
 The Potato 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Wingnut:

on my mob so cant browse for sizes but look in to Meindl Burma or Borneo ive got a pair (cant remember which) and have also worn scarpas in the past
In reply to Wingnut:
Though not B1, I went with the Alt-Berg Tethera. I know Scarpa have a pretty specific fit, but Alt-Berg do all their boots in a wide range of fits themselves, including 5 width fittings and half sizes, so you could find something relevant with them even if it isn't the Tethera. I put some initial thoughts on them at the following link, to which I'd add that they've held up for over a year now on varied terrain, no leaks and they remain comfortable. Grip on wet turf leaves a little to be desired, and despite the short'ish rand, the toecap is in pretty decent condition:

https://ruinapartum.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/new-boots-alt-berg-tethera/
Post edited at 21:22
OP Wingnut 26 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

Ta for the suggestion, but as Meindl's website doesn't give any info on crampon compatibility for either I'm guessing probably none?
(That, and they both appear to be goretex lined?)
OP Wingnut 26 Jan 2015
In reply to SidharthaDongre:

Altberg Mallerstang a bit closer to what I'm looking for than the Tethera, but still comes with a sweat-retaining membrane.
 The Potato 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Wingnut:

Only the Pro ones have goretex lining, mine are the Borneo pro, and my wife has the standard Burma. Both are definately stiff enough to be used with C1 crampons.
OP Wingnut 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Wingnut:

Any further suggestions from the daytime crowd?
In reply to Wingnut:

Indeed, but the Sympatex lining is much more breathable than the Gore-Tex equivalents.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...