UKC

glen affric and kintail: recommend some walks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 27 Jan 2015
Got 5 days up there in March. Whats peoples favourite, full on walks? Thinking munros (but not exclusively), and demanding. Skilled with crampons etc. so no worries there.

Thanks in advance.
In reply to mick taylor:

One of the best short-ish days out in Scotland:

The Saddle, preferably via Forcan Ridge (But bear in mind it's a grade II climb in winter conditions, which is still quite possible in March): http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=72 ...the ridge is avoidable, you can bypass it on the south side. Add Sgurr na Sgine to that route for a longer round.

In reply to mick taylor:

Then of course, still in Glen Shiel you've got the South Cluanie Ridge, all 7 munros if you've the energy.

And the north side of the glen is equally good: you can combine the 'three brothers' and Five Sisters into one massive day. Or really go large, and do a circuit of Gleann Licht via the full length of Beinn Fada (aka Ben Attow), Ciste Dubh, the 3 Bros and the Five Sisters. That'd probably be best over two days in winter conditions.

Sgurr nan Conbhairean to Mullach Fraoch Choire is great too. I prefer it as a logical horseshoe from the Glen Affric side, but it's not too contrived to do it from Glen Shiel instead. Note: the south ridge of Mullach Fraoch Choire is a grade I climb in winter, short but quite entertaining.

I haven't even got on to the hills north of glen Affric, but they are ace as well. Pick of the bunch is Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, which is a full on walk whichever way you come at it. A bit more do-able if you have a night out somewhere along the way - Camban bothy for instance
mick taylor 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Brilliant - thanks. Interestingly, The Saddle is the only walk I've done in that whole area - in winter - excellent.

''the south ridge of Mullach Fraoch Choire''.............would you say its dog friendly/bypassable?
In reply to mick taylor:

In summer it's easily bypassed on the west side. How safe this feels in winter is very much down to snow conditions I'd guess: I've been up there when sticking to the pinnacles on the crest seemed safer.

If you're doing MFC as part of a bigger round, from the south, then it is easily left til the end. Then you could have a look, decide whether or not it's dog friendly on the day, and either go over it or give it a miss and head back for Glen Shiel. It is the best of those hills but the others would make a good walk even without MFC
Removed User 27 Jan 2015
In reply to mick taylor:
Did this a few years back;

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...

My kit's changed but the hills remain the same.
 tony 27 Jan 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

> Brilliant - thanks. Interestingly, The Saddle is the only walk I've done in that whole area - in winter - excellent.

> ''the south ridge of Mullach Fraoch Choire''.............would you say its dog friendly/bypassable?

I saw fox prints in the snow there when I was there some years ago, so it's not too unfriendly.

The hills to the north of the Glen Shiel hills involve quite long days. There's a great loop of Mullach Na Dheiragain and Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, accessible from Killilan, but it's a long way - I cycled in from Killilan to Carnach to save a few miles on my feet, but that may not be possible in March.

Depending on the weather, a walk up Glen Elchaig to the Falls of Glomach might be a decent half-day out.
mick taylor 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Thanks guys. Lots of good stuff to get my mojo working again.
 BnB 27 Jan 2015
In reply to tony:

> Depending on the weather, a walk up Glen Elchaig to the Falls of Glomach might be a decent half-day out.

That's quite a long half day to be honest. 10-12 miles depending on start point, with a stiff pull up to the falls (and well worth it, mind).

BnB 27 Jan 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

A lot of people seem determined to knacker you with ridiculously long days. Why rush? You could quite happily do Brothers' Ridge one day, the Sisters another. And it's better to split the South Cluanie ridge into two days so as to be able to construct two tidy horseshoes. Bheinn Fada (Attow) is a great hike when combined with its scrambly subsidiary summits. And don't forget Bheinn Sgritheall is just around the corner over the Rattigan Pass. Highly recommended for the lovely (sea)lochside setting and incredible view.

The lovely thing about Glen Shiel is that from the car, the scenery can appear a little cold and barren, but explore the valley floor and its numerous side valleys and the terrain is magical. Meanwhile, the ridges make for splendid tramps.
 Joak 27 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

>
> The lovely thing about Glen Shiel is that from the car, the scenery can appear a little cold and barren

Not when I'm behind the wheel. How I haven't ended up in a ditch or the River Shiel on numerous occasions is more down to luck than judgement!!
 BnB 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Joak:

It's a right good driving road as well isn't it?

Also I highly recommend a trip to Achnashellach in Glen Carron for the round of Coire Lair, taking in Fuar Tholl, Sgorr Ruadh and Beinn Liath Mhor (or miss out the first or last for an easier day). The approach is as beautiful as any in Scotland and the view of the Torridonian giants from the northernmost point of the round is a stunner!! To be honest a better day than any in Glen Shiel and hardly bettered anywhere on the mainland. And that should be recommendation enough.
 Joak 27 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

>To be honest a better day than any in Glen Shiel and hardly bettered anywhere on the mainland. And that should be recommendation enough.

"In Kintail nothing lacks, all things culminate. It is the epitome of the West Highland scene." A well used quote from W H Murray..... Plus the Kintail Lodge pub is only a ten minute walk from the Shiel Bridge campsite!
 Flinticus 27 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

I agree: my brief time in that region beats all my walkings around Glen Shiel.
 Tim Davies 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Another vote for Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan. Try a bivi on the southern slopes in one of the flatter spots used by the deer in summer. Great bedtime views towards Ben Nevis and Skye.

Even had a visit from an eagle on the summit who I guess was looking for leftovers.

An unforgettable few days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...