UKC

Fitting GatorHardShell tyres on Mavic Aksium wheels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Braid 29 Jan 2015
I am upgrading from Gatorskins to GatorHardShells 700x23 and really struggling to get the tyre on. I've had a look on You Tube for instructional videos and picked up a couple of hints but the tyre still isn't on. I'm not quite at the stage of asking my local bike shop to fit them for me but it's getting close. Going on a training regime to increase hand and arm strength is a long term solution but doesn't solve the immediate problem (that was bound to be one suggestion).

So any hints, tips or suggestions from anyone with practical, successful, experience.

And yes, I have wondered how I'll fare should they be less than 100% puncture proof and I've to deal with a roadside repair.

Thanks
Jim
Removed User 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

wheels in freezer, tyres in microwave
In reply to Jim Braid:

Some tyre/rim combinations are just hard work.
Are you working indoors? It's generally easier if the tyre is warm as it will be more supple.
Push the bead that is on the rim to the centre of the rim (the deepest part of the rim) to give a bit more tyre to play with. You can then get a bit more of the bead on the rim. Repeat this step until you've got the tyre on.
Sometimes one side is easier to get on than the other so if you are still stuck try putting the opposite bead on first.
A bit of talc can help.
If you tried those already take a break and try again later.
OP Jim Braid 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Unknown Climber:

Thanks, been working in the garage with the door wide open and temperature round 0C added to which the tyres were kept in an unheated outbuilding last night. I'm off to bring them in to warm them up for round 3 tomorrow.

All very helpful.
 3leggeddog 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

All that has been said previously plus pop in to an old style bike shop for 3 steel tyre levers
 Dark-Cloud 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

> And yes, I have wondered how I'll fare should they be less than 100% puncture proof and I've to deal with a roadside repair.

Been there many years ago with tight tyres and i can answer you that one, you will fare with anger, sore thumbs, another punctured tube and making a phone call for a lift home............
 steve7734 29 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

IMO steel levers are really not a good idea, unless they have a plastic coating - they can seriously scratch up rims
In reply to Jim Braid:

Jim I feel your pain it took me an hour and a half to fit mine onto Aksiums and the result was a huge blood blister on each thumb!
 Bob Hughes 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Unknown Climber:

> Push the bead that is on the rim to the centre of the rim (the deepest part of the rim) to give a bit more tyre to play with. You can then get a bit more of the bead on the rim. Repeat this step until you've got the tyre on.

This.

I'm not sure if it is the same problem but I was really struggling getting Schwalbe Marathons onto my commuter / tourer. Tyre levers were a disaster - it was impssible to get the tyre on without pitching the inner tube and popping it whenever I put any air in.

The only method which worked for me was one I found on youtube. You get the tyre on as much of the rim as you can. when it starts to get really hard / impossible to get any more of the tyre on, grab the tyre at the bottom of the wheel - if the part of the tyre which is not yet on the rim is at 12 oçlock, grab the tyre at 6 o 'clock and pinch it into the centre of the rim (the deepest part of the rim) - then do the same working round the wheel until you get a bit more of the tyre onto the rim. Repeat.
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Soap. Use it to lubricate the edges of the tyre, you don't need loads but it can make the difference. Definitely plastic tyre levers. You won't forgive yourself if you end up with a nasty scratch on your beloved rims. Lastly, warming up the tyre is really important, makes it way more supple.
OP Jim Braid 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

All done. Moving the tyres into the warmth was the key. Took 3 rounds (2 outside) with the rear wheel and when I started on it inside it went on, well, not easily, but with the sort of difficulty I had expected. Didn't need to use tyre levers but did eventually put on a pair of gloves. Think it helped that I'd already spent a fair bit of time, albeit unsuccessfully, trying to get it on.

Front wheel went on in the first round of trying and again was about as hard as I'd expected. Gloves also used.

Having finally managed it gives confidence that should the need arise I'd be able to get the tyre on and off again.

"... pop in to an old style bike shop for 3 steel tyre levers"

Yes, remember them well from my youth. Are they not a bit longer than the current plastic ones such as Park Tools so more leverage. I think when I used them in my teens bikes were a bit more, well, robust. Not sure that they wouldn't damage modern wheels.

Looked at the Park Tools recommended way of using the tyre lever to put the tyre back on and it is to use the lever the same way round as taking it off i.e. hooked under the tyre. Couldn't get this to work at all. Felt more likely to succeed when it was used the other way round and hooked on to the rim.

Thanks again to everyone.

In reply to Jim Braid:

Well done for sticking with. It's such a relief with stubborn tyres when that last little bit pops nicely on to the rim.
Removed User 31 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

This fella's video is good, help me get the stiff tyres on an off in jig time.

youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4&
Rigid Raider 31 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

The ignorance amongst cyclists of the correct way of fitting tight tyres is astonishing. It's so blindingly simple:

TALC.

Talc is the best dry lubricant for sticky clean rubber known to Man. Sprinkle liberally on the beads and spead and - amazing! You can fit any tyre with your thumbs in a few seconds.
 nniff 31 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

One of our club members recently broke both his wrists and has struggled with tyres since. His answer is putting them on a radiator for a while and these 'tyre pliers' -

BBB BTL-78 - EasyTyre Fitting Tool

Light enough to take out on a ride, but a touch bulky.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...