UKC

Recommend me a good resort for snow shoeing/ winter walking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark burley 01 Feb 2015
I have finally talked my wife into coming back on a skiing holiday with me and the kids. She has tried it 3 - 4 times and is adamant she won't ski again but will try other activities. I would love her to just bumble away in a ski school on the mornings and do whatever she wants in the afternoons but hey ho.
I prefer Italian and Austrian resorts, not a great lover of the French experience but have a soft spot for Montgenevre.
She would need a group, I wouldn't want her to go off snoe shoeing on her own but fitness won't be a problem.
Any recommendations for a good snow shoeing or Nordic walking spot where I can also ski with the kids?
That or a hypnotherapist so she can get over the mental block that skiing seems to be!
 Trangia 01 Feb 2015
In reply to mark burley:

I went to Yllas in Finland two years ago with a non skiing girlfiend. There was loads of snowshoing , and she also got into Nordic skiing which was right up her street. Meanwhile I enjoyed excellent downhill skiing. The downhill runs don't have the length of Alpine resorts but still good (similar to Cairngorm skiing) and worth doing with plenty of choice and high quality snow. Also flood lit skiing at night and floodlit Nordic trails.

Having always skied in the Alps, Canada,USA and Scotland I was very pleasantly suprised by Finland.
OP mark burley 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Trangia:
Any particular spot Trangia? Was also family friendly and not cost prohibitive? I always thought Norway/ Finland would be super expensive.
It won't be like my usual lads trip but it's nice not to weep every time I order a beer.
In reply to Trangia:
Sorry read again yllas
Bellie 01 Feb 2015
In reply to mark burley:

I can recommend Colletts Holidays. Choice of Arraba, Corvara or Badia, in Italy. I went hosted. The food is excellent. great snowshoeing, great accommodation. They do snowshoeing everyday, in groups... gear provided - ideal for your wife). Whilst you can ski everyday in and around ( they have a shuttle bus which takes you to the runs at the start of the day and picks you up at the end).
In reply to Bellie:
I saw a link to Colletts when doing a quick search last night and know Arabba vaguely from a couple of weeks in Canazei. I will take another look the Dolomites would certainly fit the bill but remember Arabba being a bit open and intermediate rather than beginner for the kids but I might be wrong. Now if they operated out of Canazei or Campitello aswell it would be great.
Thanks Bellie.
Bellie 01 Feb 2015
In reply to mark burley:

I think the slopes in Badia and Corvara/Colfosco have good beginners slopes. I know that a couple took their grandkids to Badia to begin and they loved it.

Good site here : http://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/italian-alps/ski-resort-alta-ba...
crisp 01 Feb 2015
In reply to mark burley:

Tarvisio in NE Italy. The local tourist information organises lots of activities such as cross country skiing and snowshoeing most days of the week.

With regards to the snowshoeing independently there are lots of very well marked paths (CAI routes) around all the ski resorts in Friuli Venezia Giulia. See the promotur website for more information.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 01 Feb 2015
In reply to mark burley:

Colette's are also based out of Corvara and Badia Abtei which would fit your requirements perfectly...
 mcdweeb 01 Feb 2015
In reply to mark burley:

Its a shame the Swiss currency has suddenly gone ballistic because skiing from the Wengen or Murren area gives you great rail access to other Swiss cities to explore, I know this because I dislocated my shoulder 1/2 way through a holiday there and we still found plenty to do away from the resort that wasn't skiing.
Come to think of it Cortina and some of the other Dolomite resorts mentioned above have good public transport access to Venice.
In reply to mcdweeb:
I skied Grindelwald back in the 90s and although it was great and one of the most wonderful spots I have ever been to I seem to remember sitting on a lot of cog trains. It would be great for the wife but not enough ski for me and the kids.
And yes, massively cost prohibitive at the moment.
In reply to mcdweeb:
Oh my god ssshhhhh I don't want to get dragged to Venice on a ski trip!
😄
 Casa Alfredino 01 Feb 2015
In reply to mark burley:

As much as I'd like to say ME ME, Mr Rushforth is correct. Collets in Corvara would be an excellent choice. The slopes above corvara are a beginners paradise... I mean we're only 30 mins away but we couldn't offer group snowshoeing....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...