UKC

RAB Generator Alpine jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 01 Feb 2015
Hi folks,
I have managed to totally destroy my Atom SV hoody by dropping it on my bike chain which was at the time quietly resting in a deep bucket of oil....... Needless to say, a dozen washes later and it is good for nothing but rags.

So, I fancy a change as I actually didn't find it that warm and I have seen a Generator Alpine jacket for sale at £90.
I know their primaloft is highly rated but just after some reviews.

General winter cragging use, nothing exciting but want to know if its warm and durable.

Thanks in advance, Den
 crustypunkuk 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Hey Den, how's it going fella? hope all is well with you and the family.
I've owned both, and I reckoned the generator alpine offered the same amount of warmth, but felt a bit more substantial that the atom sv. The rab sizing was also a bit more generous. I reckon I've tried just about every synthetic jacket out there, and to be fair, there's not too much between most of them. It comes down to fit, colour and preference. As it happens, I sold my atom sv and got an absolute bargain on a Patagonia das parka, the only problem being that it's too bloody warm for all but the coldest weather- I was sweating wearing it in minus 12 windchill temps last week! I'm tempted to try the nano air as a less extreme, everyday synthetic jacket. There was also a Lowe alpine jacket which looked pretty good, although the name escapes me at the moment.
Finally, take a wee look at sport pursuit- they've got a fair few options in their outdoor jacket section at the moment.
Cheers,
G
OP Denni 02 Feb 2015
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Hi Gordon,
Life is good thanks. Kids running me ragged in my middle age and getting grumpier as I get older so all good! You alright?
Cheers for the reply, I got redders when I had a DAS Parka, felt quite chilly sometimes in the SV, maybe I'm getting soft in my dotage
You shouldn't have mentioned sport pursuit, so many half price things on there! I might buy a Kappa hoody just because it's half price!
Den

crustypunkuk 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Hehe, aye, the kappa is tempting me too!
 iksander 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Hey Den, warm? ish. Just right for stop-start in UK winter IMHO, although you wouldn't want to be standing around in it queueing for 2 hours. Trim fit helps keep the warmth in vs cardboard box shape of DAS etc. Durable? Yes, construction is sound - usual previsos about pertex apply. Fit is good with relatively long sleeves. I'm 6' 3" 14 stone and Large is perfect for me. Hood/collar very good. Star feature is the pack pocket, handy for clipping to your harness.
 gethin_allen 02 Feb 2015
In reply to iksander:

Has anyone here used the Mammut rime pro / xeron jackets (the latter looks to be a Gooutdoors only version of the rime pro)?
I'm currently using an old Rab photon hoodie that seems roughly comparable to the generator alpine ( 100/60 g/m primaloft in body/arms respectively) and I think the insulation is getting a bit old and knackered as it doesn't feel as warm as it used to.

@£90 I am tempted by a generator alpine but it seems you can only buy the orange one for that price and orange doesn't really suit me with my ginger hair.
 Dr.S at work 02 Feb 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

FWIW Its much warmer than my old photon hoody - not sure if that's due to deterioration in the photons insulation or not - starting weight also greater, but unsure if that is the more robust fabrics/construction or greater amount of fill.
 chris skipton 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Bought my second generator recently- find them really good. It goes on over my shell for cold belays, or in my pack all thetime for winter walking.
Also good for general warmth on its own.
It strangely feels warmer than my photon hoodie and is lighter- not having a hood may explain that!
Think they are on sale in Ambleside at moment.
Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...