UKC

Peak MTB - how much snow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bigbobbyking 02 Feb 2015
Had earmarked this weekend for a trip to the Peak District for some mountain biking. Sudden thought how much snow is there? Guess more than a dusting would make routes like this: http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/1-the-peak-district/15-jacobs-lad... bit difficult.

Have climbed in the area before, but not ridden, so any tips about where to go would be appreciated...
 Monk 02 Feb 2015
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Snow down to the Valleys and lots of ice (at least in the west where I live). Not forecast to go above freezing for some time. I went high last week and it was ridable with care but much slower than normal. Most trails were icy rather than snowy due to passing feet compressing the snow.
 Dan Arkle 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Monk:

Lots of snow/ice in the East too, and it won't melt by the weekend.

Lots of people have been getting out and enjoying it on bikes, but for a weekend biking trip I'd say go somewhere else.
 ChrisJD 03 Feb 2015

Our ride from Sunday.

vimeo.com/118444901

We didn't see any other MTBers and not much sign of riders via tracks in snow.

Was a PITA at times, but well worth a bit of struggling. Depends what type of fun you are after.

We did Houhdkirk and Redmires-Stanage Pole & Plantation on Friday night. Houndkirk was fun, Stanage & Plantation was wading through drifts with a bike (great fun, mostly).

The snow has been down a while now and is now well tracked by walkers. Ride-ability will all depend on temp - ie, whether you are on top of the snow pack or sinking into it!

Everything froze solid last night....
OP bigbobbyking 03 Feb 2015

Thanks for the reports everyone! I know what I'm in for now... May post-pone for a few weeks.
 ChrisJD 03 Feb 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

This is also very useful:

https://twitter.com/KoftheP
 AlisonSmiles 03 Feb 2015

It's icy right now. I was riding quite happily Friday / Saturday on slush and soft snow but unless I put the ice tyres on the MTB am a bit house bound right now. Can't even contemplate getting the cross bike out and doing a road meander because a walk last night showed me the thaw freeze cycle has made things overly interesting.

I've found this the most accurate local area forecast. Once it starts to thaw a little bit more it'll be sightly more attractive to ride than the sheet ice.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buxton-Weather-Watch/228826103957266
 AlisonSmiles 04 Feb 2015

Icy out there still - rubbly knobbly ice, glass like sheets of ice, frozen snowy ice, all kinds really. Did just one uphill off road section on the MTB before I slid sideways, got off and walked and did a circuit on road instead.
 ChrisJD 07 Feb 2015

Perfect snow & ice riding conditions last night over Houndkirk - Jumble - Stanage Pole- Causeway - Hurtsclough - Pub.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...