UKC

Helmet recommendations/ feedback

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 04 Feb 2015

My Elios has died a death with the EPA foam cracking completely apart. Having not bought a helmet in a good few years I'm very out of touch with what people find favourable nowadays.

Whilst tempted to simply buy another Elios I'm curious to know how people are getting on with the newer helmets.

And any feedback on the Edelrid Targa, Zodiac or new BD Half Dome would also be great, those I am most interested in.

Any other recommendations for hybrid helmets with an ABS shell and EPA would be ideal, not after a suspension helmet or a pure EPA helmet.¨

The more durable the better!
Post edited at 12:10
 iksander 04 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Petzl Altios gets my vote, but I have a funny shaped head. Try some on...
OP GarethSL 04 Feb 2015
In reply to iksander:

Ouh! yes that is a contender. Does the suspension make it sit high?
 iksander 04 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

A little, but I have taken it out of mine and it works fine and is pretty low profile (with my shape head)
 nufkin 04 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:
> not after a suspension helmet or a pure EPA helmet.

You might have already dismissed it, but the Sirocco is worth a look, and sidesteps your 'not' criteria by being polypropylene. The lightest there is at the mo (I think), well ventilated, and tough enough to squeeze and stand on
Post edited at 22:01
 nufkin 04 Feb 2015
In reply to iksander:

> Petzl Altios

Wasn't that discontinued a couple of years ago?
 kestrelspl 04 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

I'm very happy with my wild country 360.
 barbeg 04 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Hi Gareth,

Bought a Simond Calcite II recently - use it when I'm teaching ice climbing at work...have to say that for £20 odd quid it's great!

ANdy
OP GarethSL 05 Feb 2015
In reply to nufkin:

A quick check has revealed that this may be the case!
 iksander 05 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

I think so, but still available
 cdent 05 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

The guy in the fall described here was me: http://blog.urbanrock.com/2014/12/that-day-in-june/

In there the author says "He was wearing a helmet. It was a snug fit and didn’t move an inch. I went out and bought a new helmet later that week having acknowledged that the fit of mine could be better and I couldn’t say that it would have tolerated the repeated impacts that his did without becoming dislodged."

I was wearing an old school half dome, replaced it with the new half dome. I initially liked the half dome because it fit well, was easy to adjust and didn't get in the way. Then I liked it because it probably saved my life. Hard to know how it would compare to another helmet I don't really want to find out. I can say that it engaged with the cliff multiple times and I've always worried that the more foam-oriented ones would do great in one hit and then be useless after that.

The new half dome fits better and is easier to adjust, thankfully haven't had a chance to test it in earnest. Get one that fits you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...