UKC

Cramponless walks West Cumbria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 05 Feb 2015
Hi,
stopping in Eskdale this weekend and fancy a couple of walk 8 to 10 miles . My wife does not use crampons so I`ll have to be careful where we go so was thinking maybe Burnmoor tarn dropping down to Eskdale green and back round, maybe take in Illigill if it looks ok, also thinking of a scoot up and a walk taking in Lank Rigg and Grike as thinking the cold temps may have frozen boggy sections, can anybody suggest anything else.
 Billhook 05 Feb 2015
In reply to SCrossley:

You are really asking people to fortell the conditions at the weekend.

Assuming you have a map I'd keep an eye on the fell top conditions weather report which will give you freezing hight, temp, snow cover and conditions. Obviously the latter is important as you probably know.
 tintinandpip 05 Feb 2015
In reply to SCrossley:

Very little snow left apart from little drifts here and there, patches of ice are very visible I would say that most places are walk able without crampons. ( Forecast is for a gradual increase in temperature). Upper Esk from Brotherikeld to Great Moss, Woolpack up to Burnmoor Tarn would definitely be fine.
J1234 05 Feb 2015
In reply to tintinandpip:

Thanks for the update.
In reply to SCrossley:

Why not just buy some microspikes? Lightweight and you pretty much forget you're wearing them on snowy/icy terrain.
deleted 05 Feb 2015
Another recommendation for micro spikes. Lots of paths with icy well trodden snow at the moment and plenty of frozen boggy areas. Micro spikes are great for these if you aren't going onto steep ground.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...