UKC

What's Elgol like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 07 Feb 2015

I'm planning an assault on the Cuillin Ridge during a week in May, and having experienced the Glenbrittle campsite as base too many times now, I have had a look round and noticed Elgol.

Some nice cottages, regular boats to Coruisk. Mrs T will be with me, but just planning to read and potter round the area, not going to the ridge.

I'll be planning a couple of reconnaissances to look at the northernmost section of the ridge, the only bit I've not done, before a 24 hour attempt at the end of the week.

So, how practical is Elgin as a base? Anyone done this sort of thing before?
Post edited at 16:58
 The New NickB 07 Feb 2015
In reply to Fredt:

It's a long way from either end of the ridge. Obviously reasonably convenient for Coruisk, but driving to Sligahan or Glen Brittle is via Broadford.
 atrendall 07 Feb 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Elgol is fantastic and catching the RIB across makes the most aesthetic approach to the Cuillin, I think. Have stayed there a lot and have good friends who rent out waterside properties if you want a recommendation. As a recce can suggest Dub slab as an approach.

It's a great area to potter around with beautiful scenery, cragging on the local cliffs, Spar cave to explore and often otters and dolphins etc.

Only disadvantage is the long single track road from Broadford. Also no pub.

There is an early RIB which can be booked to take you over and the slog up Gars Beinn(sp?) is OK and there are springs fairly high so no need to carry water to start. Done the ridge many times from Elgol so if you want more advice PM me.

If you are ambitious do a Greater Traverse continuing over Clach Glas and Bla Bein then down the south ridge and alonf coast to Elgol.

Enjoy.
 oldie 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Fredt:

I camped by Loch Coruisk a few years ago after going by bus to Elgol (2 or 3 per day) from Broadford. Went over on rib and a guide and client were dropped off directly at foot of ridge before going to normal landing spot. Weather too bad for entire ridge on later days sand returned by far more characterful wooden boat after a few days. Would be a good way to do ridge but return might involve bunkhouse at Sligachan or b and b for a night (worth it if you do the ridge). Mrs T might be OK for lift back! Hitching seemed fairly easy off major roads.
 ScraggyGoat 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Fredt:
Doesn't work as a base to recce the northern section of the ridge. You'd either have a long walk after the boat, or a long drive round to Slig'.

It does work as an approach point for a ridge traverse itself, so long as you have a plan how to get back. I've done the ridge twice from the Coruisk side, once ending a Slig for a pint and beers followed by a nocturnal wander back to Coruisk, once to sgurr nan Gillean, then descending into Harta corrie before reascending over the shoulder to then head to Coruisk (not recommend in the dark, or fatigued as it requires good route finding and some down climbing.....or at least the way I went did!)

elgol is a nice spot, if you are happy leaving the northern section as a 'on sight', you can do the Dubhs from the first boat with a good chance of making the last boat back, Mrs Fredt could drop you off at the head of Loch Salpin, and you could then walk back to elgol over the Clachglas-Blavern traverse getting you two grand Gabro days out. Shorter day would be the South Ridge/Buttress of Sgurr nan Stri, which is a nice South facing scramble/easy climb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...