UKC

Upgrade 29" fork any suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bigbobbyking 09 Feb 2015
I have a 29er with a Suntour XCM fork which is a bit knackered. There is a lot of flex/movement in the lowers.

So thinking they need to be replaced. I have Specialized rock hopper which has QR wheel and untapered steerer. Any suggestions for a replacement/upgrade fork? Are the 'entry level' Rockshox forks any better than the Suntour? When I start looking at slightly more expensive forks it seems almost all have thru axels and or tapered steerers. I don't really want to buy a new front wheel as well if I can help it...
 Bob 09 Feb 2015
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Budget? I've X-Fusion Slides on my 29er, about £280 from Wiggle. You can get them straight or tapered steerer QR or 15mm through bolt http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-fusion-slide-rl2-120mm-qr15-29er-suspension-fork/
 ChrisJD 09 Feb 2015

Going for a thru axle is well worth it.

Some hubs (eg Hope) can be converted to thru axle for minimal cost.
 simonzxr 09 Feb 2015
I was in a similar situation with the Gf's bike so got her a set of these-
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rock-shox-xc32-tk-soloair-29-100-disc-po...

Fairly heavy but is air sprung so can be set up better. For a bit more money and a 0.5kg saving the 30 Gold TK might be a good option too.
Post edited at 12:18
 ChrisJD 09 Feb 2015

Also look on Ebay for 2nd hand.

OP bigbobbyking 09 Feb 2015

So anyone have any comments on whether those entry level rockshox will be much better than the Suntours? Are the seals better? If the same thing is going to happen in another year I may as well invest in something better. (some would say I may as well invest anyway, but I think I value durability over performance)
 LastBoyScout 09 Feb 2015
Sorry - should have added that, from experience of the Suntour XCM forks on my sister's old Trek 4300, RIGID forks would be an upgrade! They'd be lighter, stiffer and have about the same amount of travel!

Admittedly, that was a few years ago and on a 26" bike.

Edit - apologies, I think they were actually RST forks, but the comment probably still holds.

Are these any good to you - slightly short travel, but prob the same as the XCM?
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FORSRGTK80/rockshox-recon-gold-tk-29er-80mm-so...
Post edited at 15:01
 simonzxr 09 Feb 2015

The ones I posted would be considered good entry level forks and considerably better than the Suntours. The ones on my Gf's bike were XCM's and when I took them apart found they had rusted and score marks all over the stanchions after less than a year. I've found rockshocks nice and easy to service.
OP bigbobbyking 09 Feb 2015
In reply to simonzxr:

> when I took them apart found they had rusted and score marks all over the stanchions after less than a year. I've found rockshocks nice and easy to service.

That's what I discovered when I took mine apart on Saturday. Loads of horrible corrosion. So sounds like budget Rockshox would still be an upgrade

ChrisJD 09 Feb 2015

Suntour generally build non-shock absorbing suspension forks....
OP bigbobbyking 12 Feb 2015
In reply to simonzxr:

> I was in a similar situation with the Gf's bike so got her a set of these-

Thanks for the tips everyone. Have ordered one of these...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...