UKC

Mount Kenya

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
A while ago I posted a thread on Mount Kenya asking a load of mundane and geeky questions. Thank to everyone who replied offering advice. Anyway I managed to get out to Kenya over Xmas and my wife and I made an ascent of Nelion by the normal route. It was an excellent climb on an excellent mountain and comes highly recommended.

I've written a trip report on my blog for anyone who is interested: http://tomripleyclimbing.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/no-tfa-on-mount-kenya.html

Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers, Tom

P.S: If you aren't really interested in the climbing there are loads of pictures of cool African animals here: http://tomripleyclimbing.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/kenya-part-one-animals.html

dale1968 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Was there nearly 30 years ago, nice trip down memory lane....
 Max factor 11 Feb 2015
In reply to dale1968:

Coincidentally just read about Shipton and Tilman's ascent of the West ridge of Mt Kenya on the train this morning, from Jim Perrin's biography. Boys own stuff, and Tilman a (nearly total) novice climber at that!

Solaris 11 Feb 2015

Great stuff! Nice to see your pics and be reminded of a fine route - including the tricky route-finding above Baillie's Bivi.
 Babika 11 Feb 2015

Well done - I agree its a great route.

Sounds sensible to climb it in a day with light packs and return to the Austrian Hut. We carried sleeping bags as we wanted to go across to Bation and 6 of us slept in the tin hut on the summit. I was so uncomfortable I struggled out and lay on the rocky summit instead in my sleeping bag,...
 OwenM 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Babika:

Your not the only one to make that mistake.
I've proofread/updated the post.

Glad folk are enjoying it. It's such a great mountain. I'd love to go out there again and do one of the harder routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...