UKC

Ski touring in the lakes or southern scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jamesshare 11 Feb 2015
Hi there

I'm looking to get out for a bit of ski touring this weekend in the Lake district or southern Scotland.
I live in Chester so the closer the better ideally but also open to suggestion if the conditions or offerings are right.

Can anyone recommend any routes just to get out for a while where there's some snow?
And does anybody want to meet up?

I have all my own gear so at least that part's sorted!

Cheers, James
 mike123 11 Feb 2015
In reply to jamesshare:
I was out in the lakes on Saturday and did the usual suspect , from St johns in the vale up to sticks pass , on to the summit of raise , over to white side bank, lower man , helvelyn . I managed to skin from just up from the sheepfold to the top of raise and ski down to the bottom of white side bank and skin up it. Carry up lower man then skin on up Helvelyn . My plan had been to ski down towards dolywaggon and see what snow I could find to ski down towards dunmail raise, but after a short (but very nice) ski off the top of helvelyn, the snow ran out . So it was either a long walk down to dunmail or head back , which is what I did . Then skied off the top on pretty thin ribbons of snow , with a couple of short carries and then down towards brown cove . Found a longish snow patch that led me about half way down the helvelyn screes. The walk off towards swirls was horrible , even in fell shoes, would have been a killer in boots . Hit the main path just before the nasty cobbled section and promptly went aot in front of a large group . Hitched back to St johns . A grand day out however not a great deal of quality downhill. The last few days have been really mild so there will be much less snow for the downhill , I reckon you would manage to skin all the uphill I did just on thinner strips. All that said its really cold and drizzling out west today so might even be snowing up high. Hth
Xscream179 11 Feb 2015
In reply to jamesshare:

There is no skiing snow left around Moffat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...