UKC

MTB Pedals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm after some new pedals.
I've been using DMR V12's for a number of years but feel like a change is needed as there are no pins in the middle and I very occassionally slip (small feet).

I've been looking at a number of different pedals but not sure how good each are, so I'd love your feedback on these and any ideas for others.

Currently looking at
Nukeproof Proton
Shimano Saint (pins seem a tad short to me, can you get longer ones?)
AtomLab Pimp
Crank Brother 5050 2
 aldo56 18 Feb 2015
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:

Superstar nanos are good and very cheap.
 zimpara 18 Feb 2015

SPDs and you'll never look back!

Para?
 ArnaudG 18 Feb 2015

Saint pedals come with a washer at the back of the pins (on the allen key head side) that you can remove to make them longer. Which you have to do if you want half decent grip.
Cheers
A.-
In reply to zimpara:

I use some XTR clip-less pedals for xc stuff, but prefer a flat for trail riding.
In reply to aldo56:

I can get alot of the big brands at trade so price isn't a great issue.
Will have a look at them anyway though
In reply to ArnaudG:

Yeah I did see that, do you know if you can get longer pins for them or do they just come as that standard length?
 Horse 18 Feb 2015

Nukeproof pedals are good, I have a set of the budget Electons although plastic they are tough as old bolts, the pin pattern is good and the platform wide.

If money is not an issue then have a look at DMR Vaults terrific pedal with removal pins and different pin lengths available on a wide and scalloped platform. If the foot comes off unintentionally it is more likely poor technique rather than the pedal.

The Hope ones are good once you get used to them and have sorted out the pin pattern that suits you, I have removed the ones in the middle and the grip is much better.
In reply to Horse:

Yeah the Vaults were another option.
Not technique in this case unfortunately, that would be a super quick fix.
Didn't think about Hope, will do some investigation.
 ChrisJD 18 Feb 2015

Only one choice, Vaults.

Combine with 5.10s and you'll never slip again..
 itsThere 18 Feb 2015
Buy some five tens first and never look back.

I use five ten impacts and saints. I like the little bend in them to help cup your feet in, look at the side profile. Don't think I slip much or ever as the only time I remember it was dry. So prob my fault. Never had a problem with them even when plastered with mud.

As others have said when you take the washers out you will think twice about pin hight. Plus another manufacturer reduced them because five ten changed the layers of rubber on their newer shoes and longer pins were causing that floating feeling.

First paragraph. "How would shorter pins be more grippy? Most Burgtec users now stand on the shallower sole of the Impact VXI shoe from 5:10, the long pins can contact the harder inner layer of the sole not allowing the shoe to fully sink on to the pedal. Using shorter pins the Stealth Rubber will contact the pedal body giving more feel and eliminating the chance of floating on top of the pins."

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/wrapping-up-the-randoms-interbike-2014.html
Post edited at 18:46
 Horse 18 Feb 2015

Ref technique I was referring to the Vaults.
 Pete-West88 19 Feb 2015

I have two sets of Superstar Nanos.

Really good flats and they are cheap as hell compared to some others! (also get to support a UK company)

MJAngry 19 Feb 2015

Kona Wah Wah Pedals and 5.10's - sticks like glue!
 Bob 19 Feb 2015

I'd always ridden with SPDs on mountain bikes but switched to flats last year to see if I got on with them. We had a pair of Fatties Flatties lying around (yeah I know the name is naff) but rather than buy a pair of flat specific shoes I used a pair of Merrill walking shoes. TBH the setup has been fine and I've not been tempted or had reason to buy an MTB specific set of shoes. Once I got used to riding flats, the only times I've lost contact with the pedals I'd also have come unclipped if I'd been riding with SPDs.

My wife's getting the Hope pedals on her new bike (in process of being built up) so we'll see how those compare to the Flatties she has on her current bike - she uses Five10 shoes.
 ArnaudG 19 Feb 2015

I don't soz. The full length pins that come with them give me pretty good grip so I've lot looked elsewhere.
 MonkeyPuzzle 19 Feb 2015

I have the Saints. With the washers removed on the front 2 (of 3) rows of pins you've got loads of grip, but you can still readjust your foot by lifting just your forefoot off the platform. They're not weight-weenie by any stretch, but they are absolutely bomb-proof.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...