UKC

Shoes for someone with a big big toe and big feet (!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Williams 20 Feb 2015

Have worn my old climbing shoes out, and looking for a new pair. Up until now I've just gone for cheap "centre shoes" but it would be nice to get something a bit more technical at the toe end to help standing on small holds.

Problem is, my big toe is very nearly as long as the toe next to it, and so any even vaguely technical shoes I've tried so far have rather than bunching toes together/up just pressed really painfully on the end of my big toe so were not a lot of use.

I'm also, to add to it, a size 13 (in normal shoes, I know the convention is to drop a size or two for climbing), so just going into a shop and trying all the options on doesn't work, I tend to have to order them in.

Any recommendations?

Neil
Post edited at 15:19
 Mike Stretford 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:
> Problem is, my big toe is very nearly as long as the toe next to it, and so any even vaguely technical shoes I've tried so far have rather than bunching toes together/up just pressed really painfully on the end of my big toe so were not a lot of use.

My big toe is bigger than the one next to it, and leaner than most peoples. I know exactly what you mean, anything that bunches the toes will be painful and not help your climbing.

> Any recommendations?

You want a low profile 'flat toe fit'. La Sportiva Mythos are the classic but they are rather expensive now. Rock and Run currently stock them so if you're near Ambleside or Sheffield might be worth popping in. I would strongly suggest trying the pair on you are going to buy, I've found there's a lot of manufacturer variation for a given size, and am now wary of ordering.

otherwise

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-...

ps Best to get into flat toes shoes now as you will learn to climb in that style.
Post edited at 15:57
 The Lemming 20 Feb 2015

These may help

http://to.ly/N9ol
OP Neil Williams 20 Feb 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Very good

Neil
OP Neil Williams 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Cheers.
 Rick Graham 20 Feb 2015

Try on lots of different styles of shoe to see if one is made the correct shape for your foot.

Ask the shop what they have in your size before travelling.

My problem is pressure on the top of the big toe nail. Have been modifying rock shoes for 25 years with judicious application of hack saw, tissue paper and Shoo Goo. Turns a one pitch shoe into an all dayer in hot weather. Don't know why I did not think of it earlier. 20 years of unnecessary pain.
 NottsRich 20 Feb 2015

Is it unusual to have a big toe that is bigger than the toe next to it? I thought that's why it's called a big toe! If it is odd then that might explain why I find it hard to find decent climbing shoes!
 Rick Graham 20 Feb 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Just touched my stockinged feet and mine are as well! so at least two of us.

Google " foot shape types " , at least five main types according to the first hit.
OP Neil Williams 22 Feb 2015
In reply to NottsRich:
It seems to be...or at least most climbing shoes don't suit that foot shape! I always thought it was the big toe because it's wider, not because it's longer.

Thanks all, anyway!

Neil
Post edited at 18:27
OP Neil Williams 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Try on lots of different styles of shoe to see if one is made the correct shape for your foot.
>
> Ask the shop what they have in your size before travelling.

I'm guessing you have never had the misfortune to need to buy shoes (hiking boots or climbing shoes) to fit large feet (12 and above, but definitely 13 and above). A shop stocking more than one or two types of shoe in those large sizes is almost completely unknown, and most shops (quite reasonably) will only order in if you're going to buy. Which is why to narrow it down I need to get recommendations.

Neil
 The Potato 22 Feb 2015

Ive got a similar problem in that my first toe after the big toe is much longer than average which also makes it difficult to get a shoe that fits, ive had to go up by a size even then its quite uncomfortable (10 shoes in everything else 11 in climbing shoes). Been through most shoes in my local cotswold.
If anybody knows of a website that lists shoes by foot shape that would be very handy.
 Scarab9 22 Feb 2015
I'm a 13-13.5 (48-49) in normal shoes and my big toe is the longest. I find an evolv shoe (can't remember the name but they're blue and black). I started in A 12 then down to an 11. If I'm climbing regularly the 11 is fine all day. If irregular then they start to hurt a little after a while. They're more rounded at the to end than most tech shoes but I've got used to them and love em
 Anth 23 Feb 2015

A 13 normally? Try finding climbing shoes when you're a 14-15 normally! I only got into bouldering last year so my experience is negligible really but the only shoe I found that goes to a European 51 (yes, 51) was the Boreal Joker. Not very technical, I know, but beggars can't be choosers. If anyone spots anything of a similar size though, I'm all ears.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...