UKC

Recommend me a Good MTB Uplift company/destination

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 21 Feb 2015

Hello,

Hoping someone can recommend a good company running guided MTB uplift holidays to go to the Alps, Pyrenees, southern Spain (or maybe somewhere else? prob needs to be Europe to keep costs down)

We've been out to the Alps with Trail Addiction 2 years in a row now, and loved it, however we fancy somewhere a little bit different (at least not in the Bourg St Maurice area) this time (might try their other destination)

So where have people been that they would recommend and who with? We are good technically (not so much jumpy so not really after bike park park stuff) and will be taking our own bikes.

Ideally we would want ski lift uplift, but van uplift is good too, miles and miles of single track, and if at all possible guaranteed sun.

Thanks in advance
Post edited at 20:23
OP balmybaldwin 23 Feb 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Monday bump
 wbo 23 Feb 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin: When?

ChrisJD 23 Feb 2015

Did you get my email?
In reply to wbo:

Plan to go out August sort of time, fairly flexible really
In reply to ChrisJD:

Haven't checked... will do now thanks

Just seen your email, they look good (especially the "Spanish Utah"), but thought they may be a bit more pedally than we were after, would be good to hear your experiences when you are back!
 ChrisJD 23 Feb 2015

Will report back.
 ChrisJD 23 Feb 2015
Madeira is also high on my list:

http://freeridemadeira.com/

I've been there travelling around - incredible scenery and the riding potential looked amazing.

(if you decide to go - let me know!)
Post edited at 14:21
 gethin_allen 23 Feb 2015

We've bee out to Morzine a few times with this really dodgy sounding company called Jolly Good Alpine Adventures that actually turned out to be really good. They have a chalet in Morzine with secure bike storage etc. It's not a luxury place but we found it great and have been out there 3 times.

The scene has changed quite a bit from the first time we went in 1998 when front suspension and disc brakes were seriously rare to the modern days where the trails seemed to be full of obviously minted fat middle aged blokes on £5,000 bikes and head to toe in body armour.
 ChrisJD 23 Feb 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

> The scene has changed quite a bit from the first time we went in 1998 when front suspension and disc brakes were seriously rare to the modern days where the trails seemed to be full of obviously minted fat middle aged blokes on £5,000 bikes and head to toe in body armour.

It really hasn't changed that much - we were riding full body armour suits & DH bikes in Morzine in 2002! And the 'scene' was well established by then.

(the photos are too embarrassing to share)
In reply to gethin_allen:

One of the options im looking at is chatel in the same area as morzine and go guideless to keep costs down, but whilst there seems to be loads of marked trails, bit concerned they would all be man made dh type runs rather than the natural(ish) single track weve done in les arcs. Is it worth hiring a guide?
 gethin_allen 24 Feb 2015

We didn't hire a guide but we went out with the chef from the chalet the one day and we bought a proper map. This was good but I wouldn't say this was critical. We were riding xc ish bikes and avoiding the black runs and found plenty to keep us going for a week.
aligibb 09 Mar 2015

I have lived in chatel and morzine and chatel is a much better base for MTB than Morzine in my opinion. Theres lots of non bikepark stuff to do, and some of the bike park trails are actually really fun! Lloyd Grace of professional transfers knows the area like the back of his hand esp the swiss side where the is even more stuff away from the masses. You can access runs down to Monthey and over at Bex which is uplift by train. Send me a PM if you want more info. I'd say if you can stretch to it it'd be worth getting Lloyds services for a couple days as he has a minibus and can take you to awesome riding around here. eg above the Aletcsch glacier etc.

Ali

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...