UKC

Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 22 Feb 2015
Apologies for displaying(unusual) geographic ignorance but can somebody give me a rough idea of the distance from Lake Garda to the general area of the Dolomites. I'm not planning climbing or walking but we might be going to Garda on holiday and I thought I'd like to have a look at the Dolomites. What would be a fairly representative place to make for? Thanks.
In reply to FesteringSore:

130 miles and about 3 hours from south end of the lake to Corvara according to AA routeplanner, that is pretty central and you would get a lot of great views on your journey.

Probably only 2 hours drive from the north end of the lake to the Val Gardena area.

Corvara is quite central in the dolomites, it is another hours drive east to Cortina.

Would be a shame to go there and not walk or climb though.
OP FesteringSore 22 Feb 2015
In reply to mountain.martin:

> Would be a shame to go there and not walk or climb though.
I know, but one day.
 MLC 22 Feb 2015

Worth the drive just to see them!
 Neil Williams 22 Feb 2015

Depends how far along the lake, and what exactly you class as the Dolomites! Plenty of via ferrata, sport climbing etc very near the lake.

Neil
 beardy mike 22 Feb 2015
In reply to FesteringSore: of course you could also go to the Brenta Dolomites which are much closer. Or nip across the the southern dolomites which is much closer than corvara, or the Lagorai which is a granite area of the dolomites... Or passo rolle from where you can see the pala di San Martino... Its not ALL about Corvara... Infact corvara it self is fair un spectacular... Sure, passo gardena and passo sella are breathtaking, but tou don't have to go all the way to Corvara... Then of course theres Passo Fedaia, Marmolada and Civetta... Its a massive massive area, far bigger than most Brits realise!
 Gone 22 Feb 2015

Molveno is lovely and not too far from Garda.
 grommet 22 Feb 2015

If you go to lake Garda on a package deal they do offer day trips to the Dolomites. Up to passo Gardena I think. Its an early start and a long day, the further south you are the earlier start and the longer day.

Worth the trip, in my opinion, but so is sermione, desenzano, Verona, bardoleno etc. all beautiful places.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...