UKC

Gore Active vs Neoshell (Rab vs Patagonia)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buffalo606 23 Feb 2015
Any advice from shell owners of Gore Active or Neoshell.

especially comments on toughness (lifespan and wear against rock) and ability to keep out sleet/rain/snow.

In particular Rab Neoshell Myriad vs Patagonia Gore Active Leashless...
 HeMa 23 Feb 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Can't comment on neposhell... but the toughness of gore is dependent on the outer fabric it is laminated on...
OP buffalo606 23 Feb 2015
In reply to HeMa:

That's a good point.
 Jayhigh 23 Feb 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

I've had the Myriad for about 18 months and I like it. It's fairly lightweight, breaths really well and fits (me) well, although it is pretty snug on the arms with anything other than a thin mid layer on underneath.

The only thing about it, and I only found this out when downhill skiing rather than touring/climbing, was that it doesn't seem as windproof as previous hard-shells I've had (H2NO or some variety of Goretex). Definitely not a show stopper, and as I recall it was significantly cheaper than many alternatives, but it is not as 'warm' - just something to be aware of.

I've used it in the Alps (summer and winter) and Scotland and it doesn't have any holes in it yet, and it keeps out the cold wet stuff.
 Damo 23 Feb 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

I've tried both those jackets on, but not used them. I have used Rab Neoshell pants (the original version, few years old).

The DWR on the pants did not last long, IMO, so I'm wary of that for a Rab Neoshell jacket.

Rab and Patagonia fit differently. I like the Myriad, it fit me fairly well, you notice the stretch, it's not as billowy around the waist as some other Rab jackets, and it has the long arms and generally slim fit of a Rab. The M10 is a trimmer fit than some Patagonia jackets, but generally they have shorter arms than a Rab and wider fit. Regardless of the brand or fabric, if a jacket doesn't fit *you* well then it won't be any good to climb in. I'm 6'7" tall, 97kg, 34" waist, 46" chest. Tried on XL in both jackets.

Personally I would not want to be grinding up against rock in either of these jackets, I would not expect them to last long. The M10 feels thinner, and has a shinier, slicker outer face fabric than the Myriad.
 TobyA 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Jayhigh:

> The only thing about it, and I only found this out when downhill skiing rather than touring/climbing, was that it doesn't seem as windproof as previous hard-shells I've had (H2NO or some variety of Goretex).

See just about all my reviews on UKC of neoshell jackets! I totally agree with you. It's a weird feeling isn't it? Was just taking the bins out and pulled on my Nabu, and over a t-shirt it was very obvious once again (about 3 degrees and very windy here currently).
 Damo 24 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> See just about all my reviews on UKC of neoshell jackets! I totally agree with you. It's a weird feeling isn't it? Was just taking the bins out and pulled on my Nabu, and over a t-shirt it was very obvious once again (about 3 degrees and very windy here currently).

I admit, Toby, I just thought it was you being soft. I'm too lazy to use the Google machine, but isn't there some way of testing this properly? Because if there is, and they let through a noticeable amount of wind, then they're clearly not windPROOF and should not be advertised as such.

Otherwise they're just very expensive nylon.
OP buffalo606 24 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Cheers Toby, I assume it was the "Marmot Nabu NeoShell Jacket" review? I am realising there is no perfect shell so will try and learn to layer the Neoshell to keep out the wind.
 BnB 24 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Totally agree on the slight lack of windproofing relative to Goretex. But it's only really noticeable when you have bare arms under the jacket, which I try to avoid anyway. It must be the price you pay for the breathability, which I definitely appreciate. In my Gore Active pants I feel like a microwave dinner, in the neoshell trous I barely cook at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...