UKC

dyneema slings - 8mm vs 11mm?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bodovix 25 Feb 2015
hi all, i usually climb with 11mm slings however i accidentally ordered some 8mm ones as replacements, although there the same strength they look like ill be replacing them in no time(threw use) which on a budget is not sustainable.. where as my 11mm slings lasted a good couple of years before i lost faith in them,
so:
dose anyone have experience with both, how much durability was lost with the thinner sling if any? also tho the 8mm ones are super sporty and light i doubt that it is notably so as the 11mm ones were practically wait-less anyway..did anyone out there'feel a difference'
(my main use for them is setting anchors & throwing it over prominent rocks as quick gear 'on route')
cheers
 neilwiltshire 25 Feb 2015
In reply to bodovix:

How often are you using them? I'm surprised you need to change them every two years unless they're visibly damaged. I've been using mine for 3 or 4 years and they're still fine, I have no plans to replace any of them.

All mine are 11mm so I can't really comment on durability of 8mm but I have used 8mm ones too and can't say I've noticed the weight difference.
 AlanLittle 25 Feb 2015
In reply to bodovix:

I have 8mm slings that are three or four years old. Some of them are a bit fuzzed but I have no qualms about continuing to use them you another couple of years.

Ability to stuff them through small threads is a plus if you climb a lot on limestone, although for that kevlar cord slings are even better because they're stiffer (and more cut-resistant)
 jkarran 25 Feb 2015
In reply to bodovix:

My 12mm dyneema mix slings lasted many years of frequent use and pull tested to a perfectly adequate strength once they were retired (I don't recall specific numbers but I wasn't surprised or alarmed). They were pretty shabby looking when I retired them. I currently have a mix of 6, 8, 10 and 12mm slings in my rack, the main difference seems to be the nylon fraction. I can't say I worry about the lifespan of the thinner slings, they seem to be faring fine but it's not the sort of thing that preys on my mind anyway.

My suggestion would be don't worry about it, they'll have long since paid for themselves in many happy days out by the time you feel the need to replace them.
jk
Post edited at 11:39
OP bodovix 25 Feb 2015
In reply to bodovix:

ill sleep easy then
i think it must have been around 3 years i diched the 11mm ones but i'v been climbing on a lot of conglomerate/breccia type rock which is relatively rough imo,
suppose at the end of the day the'r only like £10 each so its not a massive issue if i loose a bit of time,
thanks for the input

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...