UKC

Hiking Iceland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
musashi 02 Mar 2015
Hi there,

I am going to Iceland at the end of may-beginning of June for 2 weeks. I was planning a couple of multi-day treks..including the Landmannalaugar - Þórsmörk and Kerlingarfjoll..but I have just realised that it may be difficult/dangerous due to the snow. I guess every year the weather could be different, but I was wondering if someone who has been there could advise? I will be self-sufficient (meaning with my tent and food, map and compass), but obviously I don't want to put myself into a dangerous situation.

Any alternative trek to suggest in this period of the year?

Also can someone recommend a good (not too expensive) GPS?

Thanks in advance
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Mar 2015
In reply to musashi:

We were in the area mid/late June last year. I think the interior roads were opening about the 15th. By the end of the month is was busy - I doubt you will be alone:

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/156356537

Chris
 Solaris 05 Mar 2015
In reply to musashi:

This booklet is pretty useful:
http://www.vegagerdin.is/media/umferd-og-faerd/Opnun_fjallvega_en_2014.pdf

There could be an early spring, in which case you'll be fine, but you could find yourself unable to get anywhere because the roads are closed. I was last there in summer in 2013 and the F225/208 didn't open until late June and the northern section of the F26 until the first week in July. This was a late summer, but it gives an idea of what's possible.

On the Laugavegur you'll be fine by yourself if you're a reasonably experienced backpacker but I'd gain experience of Iceland before heading away from well-marked routes. Tackle river crossings with caution and beware maps: they will often be inaccurate and will show paths where there's nothing on the ground whatsoever.

Chris's (oversaturated) photos show what the weather could be like, but on our long trek in July 2013, I was wearing Scottish winter clothing most of the time. Expect clag and you won't be disappointed!
musashi 10 Mar 2015
Hi there,

thanks for the links and the advices. To be on the safe side, I have postponed the trip till the end of June..hopefully most of the snow will be gone from the main path.

Thanks again

Solaris 10 Mar 2015
In reply to musashi:

A good move, I'd say. But expect snow patches on the higher parts of the Laugavegur and over Fimmvorðuháls down to Skógar. And expect it to snow whilst you're there, too.

Hope you have a good trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...