UKC

buffalo mountain shirt/ special 6 too warm for UK hillwalk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goofyfoot 07 Mar 2015
How suitable are buffalo mountain shir/special 6 for UK hill walking in the UK from autumn to spring? If so can you recommend a pile/pertex alternative that can be worn next to the skin and is highly breathable, don't care about being waterproof as long as I'm warm when wet.

Cheers guy.
 MG 07 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:
There are great.
 Dave the Rave 07 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:
They are ok for certain conditions. The hoods are poor and not suitable for mountain wear in windy conditions.
( without the back up of a hard shell with a good hood)
Post edited at 18:33
Zoro 07 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:
I've got one and I've never got on with it, even really crap conditions up north. I could never get the ballance right. I loved the idea of it, but i could never get cool i was always too hot or too cold. I also found it bulky, i know people love them, but it drove me mad!!!

I have one going spare for free if you'd like it?

PM and i'll let you know the size if you'd like?

Prof. Outdoors 08 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:
Big buffalo fan here. I have the special six which is preferable to the mountain shirt due to the longer length. It is brilliant for winter use, especially ice climbing. I only use buffalo if the temperature is near to zero. Would be too warm for me for over 5C.
If you do get one make sure that you wear it as designed. Snug but not tight which makes sure the heat is retained next to you. Must be worn next to the skin for maximum effect. This enable the venting to be really effective by letting the cold air get to your skin. In my experience even a thin thermal stops the cooling effect and also retains moisture far more than the Buffalo material.

As an alternative I have been very impressed by the Brynje string thermals under conventional Rab Vapour rise. As you can see, fashion is not important on the hill. A thin windshirt could be of value if intending to just use the string thermal in warmer conditions. (Probably to protect people from suffering the sight of me doing an impersonation of Rab C Nesbitt.)
Post edited at 08:48
OP Goofyfoot 08 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:

Went to the local outdoor shop yesterday and had a look at the Rab Vpour rise jacket (standard as apposed to the guide - that looks too warm) anybody got any experience of that range of clothing? Feels lighter tan buffalo, does that make it a little more versatile? Is it meant to be worn next to skin like buffalo?
Moorside Mo 08 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:

Too warm for me, but nearly everyone seems to overdress on the hill compared to me, so the answer is depends.
 Damo 08 Mar 2015
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

>
> If you do get one make sure that you wear it as designed. Snug but not tight which makes sure the heat is retained next to you. Must be worn next to the skin for maximum effect.

Which almost nobody ever does, from what I'v seen. Given how snug the fit was meant to be, and yet how the material is non-stretch, I could never use one for any climbing that was remotely technical - just too restrictive.

Also too warm, as I run hot. I wore one on attempted traverse of the Cuillin many years ago, got an unseasonably hot 26C July day and nearly boiled to death. And yet, despite their warmth, I could never get around to taking one on an expedition as they're not flexible enough - too hot for most days in Himalaya/Karakoram, not waterproof, bulky…

I wore my Special 6 shirt out eventually, but deliberately chose not to replace it.
 Thrudge 08 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:
> Went to the local outdoor shop yesterday and had a look at the Rab Vpour rise jacket (standard as apposed to the guide - that looks too warm) anybody got any experience of that range of clothing?

I've had a standard Rab VR for years and it's great. I went up Tryfan in it with only a merino t-shirt underneath. Weather was very cold and damp for the first third of the way, cold and very windy at half height, then even colder with 100% snow cover for the last third. I was never cold in the VR, nor too hot. BTW, I do run hot.

With the VR and a lightweight hardshell in case of heavy rain, I'd say you're sorted for UK walking.

I haven't used Buffalo, so I can't say how it compares.

mackfras 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:

Temp needs to be below zero for me. As other posters have said, hoods are rubbish so limited value in typical Scottish conditions. Use mine more for keeping warm in evenings on family camps these days. A layering system far more configurable on the hill.
 Brass Nipples 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:

Or Montane is better executed version than buffalo IMO. Again only for winter and wear next to skin.

steveshaking 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

New to Montane this year, I guess everybody says the same thing in terms of it being only for winter conditions. I am not sure spring and autumn would work - on a cool day and if you are not carrying much it might.
Also an issue on walk in's where obviously its often warmer at the start, you are going up hill and carrying a heavy pack - I might consider a separate layer for a walk in if its not windy/cold at the start.
But otherwise I found it great in the lack of faff and basically being at the right temp really easily. Not being waterproof isn't an issue which is nice. Also I found soft shells (polartec power shield) get damp and nasty towards the end of the day and take some drying, the Montane stayed comfortable and was far quicker to dry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...