UKC

Recommended alpine climbing in Austria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mtom91 08 Mar 2015
Can someone recommend me quality alpine climbing anywhere in Austria?
 OwenM 08 Mar 2015
In reply to mtom91:

Depends on what you mean by "quality alpine climbing"?
 GirlieEyes 06 Apr 2015
In reply to mtom91:

Pallavicinne, Grossglockner N Face D+

Studlgrat, Grossglockner AD/ AD+

Both great routes.....
redsonja 06 Apr 2015
In reply to mtom91:

As above. Grossglockner is fab
 veteye 06 Apr 2015
In reply to redsonja:

Oh that's interesting.My friends are wanting to go to the Austrian Alps this summer and one was raving about the Grossglockner and I thought that he was just saying it because it is the highest.It may be a struggle to persuade him that he can do D+,so will have to work on that!
I must say that I am still drawn by all the routes both sides of the valley around Chamonix(typical Brit eh?) and still want to traverse the Grand Jorasses.I suppose that I will read all the stuff that the Austrian Alpine Club put out and try to go with it.
Maybe the OP will join the AAC too and find information from them.
 islandlynx 06 Apr 2015
In reply to veteye:

Im also interested in some alpine climbing in the summer in the PD and AD range. are there recommended guidebooks/routes.

thanks
 GirlieEyes 07 Apr 2015
In reply to veteye:
The D+ is on the Grossglockner N Face. Wouldn't be trying that in the summer, might be a bit black! Go for a crack on the Studlgrat, classic! All the guidebooks I've tried to get are in German, they're the best ones. Don't bother with the 1980's eastern alps guidebook, it's rubbish.
Post edited at 21:30
 alpinist63 07 Apr 2015
In reply to mtom91:
this one is definitely quality alpine climbing:
grundschartner north ridge in the zillertal, about 5+ with a few moves 6. excellent route, very little traffic, info in german here:
http://www.bergsteigen.com/klettern/tirol/zillertaler-alpen/grundschartner-...
 proandras 08 Apr 2015
In reply to mtom91:
In Gesäuse range you find a lot excellenet ridge. For example Rossschweif to Peak Hochtor: http://www.bergsteigen.com/klettern/steiermark/ennstaler-alpen/rossschweif
Kreuzmauer, Ödstein, Buchstein, Kalbling have easy ridge climb as well in same area.
 veteye 08 Apr 2015
In reply to GirlieEyes:

Pity that I only speak French and not German. I could rely on my friend to translate,but then I always feel safer if I have read all the information.
The last recommendation looks to be not much more than a scramble.
 proandras 09 Apr 2015
In reply to veteye:
That's right. Rossscheif is Studlgrat-style rout with only one UIAA III part, but you could find any harder ones:
http://www.bergsteigen.com/klettern#lat=47.567512587621&lng=14.56564669...
 Aigen 09 Apr 2015
In reply to alpinist63:

Have you done this route? Can you leave your bivi gear at the bottom and return to pick it up? Or do you have to carry it with you?
cb294 10 Apr 2015
In reply to alpinist63:

If you like Grundschartner, you will also love the North pillar of Grosser Fussstein. Bit more serious due to the glaicer access.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...