UKC

Budget European cycling tours for young(ish) singles... ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
thompsongirl 08 Mar 2015
Okay so I'm not young, at 37, but I'm young at heart. I'm looking for a guided cycling tour aimed at people who don't really care where they sleep probably in Austria or maybe France this summer... preferably with a large proportion of singles or at least not a whole bunch of married people whose kids are in college...

Ideas?

And yeah, I'd like a tour.... I don't feel like planning anything... I just feel like showing up.
 balmybaldwin 08 Mar 2015
In reply to thompsongirl:

Most tours tend to include decent accomodation, its really the only option to plan and guide yourself if you want really cheap. You also dont mention it but I presume you mean on road?

aligibb 09 Mar 2015

exodus, or saddle skedaddle? I did an exodus mtb one in morocco a few years ago that was mostly young and singles...
 Morgan Woods 09 Mar 2015

Why not improve your chances on UKC with a nice profile pic

:p
Removed User 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Need to supply one from the back too for a cycling holiday.
thompsongirl 09 Mar 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Yep, road this time around.... There's gotta be a hostelly type of tour out there...
thompsongirl 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Done. Me and my (dead) pet rabbit.
thompsongirl 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Nice. Classy. ;P
 planetmarshall 09 Mar 2015

> Done. Me and my (dead) pet rabbit.

The rabbit looks OK to me. Did you have it stuffed?
 gethin_allen 09 Mar 2015

I wouldn't mind finding out about such tours myself as although I don't fall into the single part of it I'm quite sure that the GFs idea of a nice holiday doesn't really include that much cycling.
 Kimono 09 Mar 2015

i was going to cycle through northern spain in june and, going by your profile pic, i would have invited you along

but now planning to walk the Camino instead
KevinD 09 Mar 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> The rabbit looks OK to me. Did you have it stuffed?

It is in the kitchen so being got ready for the pot i reckon.

IMA 09 Mar 2015

No idea what the make up will be, but sure you can ask. Sure the same applies for ensuring it will be the right challenge for you.

Marmot tours may be worth a shout.

Exodus is always a worth a look for the single but no idea what they have on road bikes at the moment. Though I'd be tempted to do their Wadi Rum on a CX.

Rapha have some.

Anyway should you find anything let the world know, I know of a few ski holidays but none for the cycling. Solved this years problem by just going to Mallorca with some friends and then Norway with 2 of the guys, but there will always be next year
 The New NickB 09 Mar 2015
In reply to IMA:

The Rapha ones are staggeringly expensive, even by Rapha standards.
 The New NickB 09 Mar 2015

Are you a member of a club? Club trips are often done cheaply and you might get more of a mix.
 IMA 09 Mar 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Agreed, but I have no idea what the OP has for a budget or expendable income. If I had the spare money and was after a sorted holiday I'd consider it, especially if Gruber was doing the pictures
aligibb 09 Mar 2015

What kind of time of year, what kind of mileage and how many hills? Are the Alps/Jura an option?
thompsongirl 09 Mar 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Cremated at an enormous cost, after that photo was taken.
thompsongirl 09 Mar 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

I'll let you know if/when I find anything...
thompsongirl 09 Mar 2015
In reply to IMA:

Thanks, I'll look into your suggestions. Skiing, I went with Action Outdoors/UCPA in February and I'm going to Val Thorens in April. If you can beat their prices, please let me know.
thompsongirl 09 Mar 2015
In reply to aligibb:

I've basically got all of August within which to plan... Alps/Jura definitely an option. I was thinking about Austria based on the cost of Switzerland and the fact that I haven't really been around Austria (as opposed to France, Germany and Switzerland, which I've travelled the hell out of). I wanna say 60-80km a day and honestly not that many hills...looking for more of a cycle tour than hardcore climbing...
thompsongirl 09 Mar 2015
In reply to IMA:

I travel basically non-stop (private school Head of Department) so need to budget to continue to pay for 17 weeks of vacation a year and non-stop indoor climbing habit (plus gear addition that crosses all sports)
Removed User 09 Mar 2015

Not to mention those kitchen cupboards need updating too.
thompsongirl 09 Mar 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Nope. Any suggestions of good clubs? I'm used to just going at everything alone... but now i'm too old and lazy
thompsongirl 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed User:

It's my parents' house in Canada... let's all go easy on the 70-year-olds...
 The New NickB 10 Mar 2015

> Nope. Any suggestions of good clubs? I'm used to just going at everything alone... but now i'm too old and lazy

I'm 200 miles from London, so any club suggestions I have are unlikely to be all that practical. When I did live do there I met some nice folk at Herne Hill velodrome, but that was half a lifetime ago.
 IMA 10 Mar 2015

Good clubs depend on what you are after. Racing? Social? Same sex rides? what day? Some clubs can be horribly cliquey. But on a serious note try the Rapha rides, not saying you need to buy the Rapha lifestyle but they are well run and have different groups with people who just want to ride their bikes and they all have ride leaders.

I was supposed to be heading out to the Skiers Lodge in La Grave. Guided skiing, seemed well geared for singles etc. Bust ankle means that ain;t going to happen. Otherwise I've used the ski club in Cham and Jagged Globe.

Try Tuscany for a region with less hills, I remember being recommend Ingamba by a friend. No idea on anything more than the name though
Removed User 10 Mar 2015

Was it dead before you cremated it?

On a more helpful note I have seen some guided tours of the Limousan about the place. This area offers hilly but not mountainous terrain, litte traffic, great scenery and cheap accommodation. I am sure some Brit companies do tours here.

May be worth a look?
 JJL 10 Mar 2015
In reply to dissonance:

> It is in the kitchen so being got ready for the pot i reckon.

Boiled?
 IMA 24 Mar 2015
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com/ may just be too many hills though and no dates until after the summer. Future reference though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...