UKC

Cam sizes for different types of cam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So I tried out some of my cams the other day for the first time in a while. It turns out half of them don't work, and anyway, perhaps it's actually time to replace those thirty-year-old rigid stem units which I found at the top of Gogarth, sentimentally attached though I am to them.

Someone tells me Totem cams are the thing. But they seem to have their own numbering system. Does anyone know of some online converter to regular Friend sizes? Or can just tell me for that matter - a number 1 Totem seems about the same size as a 1.5 Friend; is that right?

jcm
 MG 08 Mar 2015
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

The needlesports web site has sizes for both types in tables.
 lithos 08 Mar 2015

http://www.rockrun.com/wp/cam-size-comparison-chart/

not sure if it has the totems ...
 SenzuBean 08 Mar 2015

Here you go: has all the min and max ranges for _all_ (okay most of) the cams: http://www.weighmyrack.com/cam/list
 Monkey_Alan 08 Mar 2015
In reply to MG:

Thanks all. I had the sense my Google skills were letting me down.

jcm
 AlanLittle 09 Mar 2015

Totems are good but only go up to Friend 2.5

I replaced my 80s-vintage rigid stem Friends with Totems plus Dragons for the larger sizes, and I recommend it. I would buy a second set of Totems if I were doing more trad these days, but most of what I do is in the Alps and heavily pegged or semi-bolted so I tend not to need that many.

Alan Blanchflower's page is a masterpiece of obsessive-compulsive public service.
 ericinbristol 09 Mar 2015

I recommend Dragons, mainly for the extendable Dyneema sling (they are excellent in terms of range etc, too) as it often saves you a quickdraw.
 AlanLittle 09 Mar 2015
In reply to ericinbristol:

They can be a faff to clean when seconding though.
 jon 09 Mar 2015

What's the world coming to? Rob Durran talking about 'send trains'... and now you starting your post with 'so'... It's all downhill now, you know.
 ericinbristol 09 Mar 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

Agreed but what works for the leader is top priority for me
 Offwidth 09 Mar 2015

Andy K currently says small aliens, then totems, then camelots as you increase in sizes.
 AlanLittle 09 Mar 2015

Btw I believe both Totem and BD cam size numbers are the mid range width of the cam in inches
In reply to Offwidth:

> Andy K currently says small aliens, then totems, then camelots as you increase in sizes.

Aren't small Aliens now manufactured by Totem?
The Dragons are essentially the same as Camelots but made in Wales and quite a bit cheaper. (if either of those things matter it could be the decider)
 IainWhitehouse 09 Mar 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Aren't small Aliens now manufactured by Totem?

No. Totem make a very similar cam (the Totem Basic) which is basically a copy of the original Alien with some key improvements.
Original "Aliens" are now made by Faders/Fixe who are based in Spain.

/tmp 13 Mar 2015

check this for a visual comparison of sizes. kudos to the person who made it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J4Ce7nyumynpXu93l7BSg1n_VwdFX9IHjqk...
 Timmd 13 Mar 2015
Something which might be worth keeping in mind is that UK cams are ment to be easier to keep free of debris which might cause wear and the devices to become gritty than Metolius camming devices, which apparently have less 'play' in them, and feel nice and smooth in the hand when played with, and are perfectly fine to climb on etc.

Happy cam buying.
Post edited at 23:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...