UKC

Womens softshell trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RoK 08 Mar 2015
Hi all,

I've struggled the past few months to find a decent pair of softshell trousers as a pressie for my girlfriend.

So far we've tried MHW Winter Wander trousers in a size 4 US which were ridiculously big.
Arcteryx Gamma LT were a good fit in a size XS, just too long. They don't have make a short inseam version though so that's that scuppered.

Most trousers are just a little too long so I am wondering if anyone on here has any recommendations? Open to any (sensible) suggestions at this stage. Don't mind expensive as they are a gift. I also don't mind buying two pairs in two different weights.
She is 160cm (5'3" in old money) and slim.

Cheers,
R.
 girlymonkey 08 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

Being 154cm tall myself, too long is a given with trousers for me. Just get the ones that fit best everywhere else and either take them up yourselves (only tricky if there is a zip at the bottom), or take them to someone who does alterations. There are plenty dotted around once you start looking for them.
I did once wonder what it would be like to buy a pair of trousers and just wear them straight away rather than cutting them up first!! lol
OP RoK 08 Mar 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Cheers for the swift reply girlymonkey.
I had thought of getting them altered but was put off as the last time I had an item altered the person had a hell of a time. Softshell could be easier to work with than Powerstretch though so it's definitely an option.

Thanks once more!
Ronan.
 girlymonkey 08 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

It depends a little on the thickness of the softshell material, but I have successfully done the lighter weight softshells really easily. My machine won't handle the thicker ones, but as long as the alterations place has a decent machine (which I imagine they will have), I don't think it will be a problem. Definitely easier than powerstretch!
 Fiona Reid 08 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

Marmot Scree might be worth a look. I'm 5ft2 and they are tiny bit long on me but this is really not an issue with shoes on. They are really nice comfy trousers.

OP RoK 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks Fiona

I assume that they S or XS. Don't want to pry too much.
 Fiona Reid 09 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

I have a two pairs, one from ~4 years ago that are a medium and on their last legs due to being worn continually.

The new pair are have size 8 inside which I think corresponds to medium as far as I can understand from their sizing charts. In regular clothes I'm usually a UK size 12, I'm 5ft 2 and just under 10 stone with fairly powerful legs due to the amount of walking/cycling I do. Thus I suspect the size S would prob. suit someone of thinner build.

Dorq 09 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

Don't discount Rohan trousers --- they used to do at least one technical softshell pair every year. They currently make a few sports-oriented pairs of trousers for women in their special shorter-leg range but it might be best trying to get to one of their shops and check the fabric.

Gearforgirls have a few that look suitable and you can search by garment size. They have free returns, which take about a week, and are really efficient. They may have a sale coupon for this month; if I can locate it I will post it.
OP RoK 09 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

Thanks all,

Really appreciate all the replies. I'll get my online shopping shoes on again. Unfortunately every store I have tried in the UK seem to stock few ladies trousers and it's even worse in Ireland.
Cheers!
Ronan.
 marsbar 09 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

A Uk size 8 should be the same as a USA 4. In theory.

I have marmot which do come with short leg length as well.

Have you looked at children's ones if she is very petite?
OP RoK 09 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:
Thanks Marsbar, the American girl in the shop in Dublin yesterday said that a US 4 was equal to a 10, I checked a chart later on that evening and it stated that it was equivalent to a 6. Personally I thought it was an 8 myself as you stated.
Bit of a minefield this.
She suggested kids ones herself, but htere's less chance of finding them here than women's ones.
Post edited at 20:00
 ebygomm 09 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

I have some Mammut softshell trousers, no doubt now discontinued but I know they've always done a good range of sizes, i.e. more than just s/m/l e.g. I wear a 36 in European Sizes which i think is around a 10 but they do 34 and 32 also.

I'm only 5'4" and they fit fine lengthwise over boots.
 marsbar 09 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

Well if its any help I checked mine, marmot, they are a USA 12 and they fit the same as uk 16. Lengthwise mine are standard and I'm 1.66m tall. I'm very pleased with them, I wear them all the time to walk the dog as well as for other outdoor stuff and they wash well.
OP RoK 10 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

Thanks a bunch everyone, we should be sorted in no time

Really appreciate the help!
OP RoK 28 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

Just to fill anyone in that might be struggling. I ended up with a pair of Grifone Ipasha trousers in a size medium. They seem to be a small fitting brand as the size small (euro 36) that she normally takes was way too small.
She's delighted with them!

Thanks all!
R.
 JayPee630 28 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

My friend has the same issue, and has found Marmot and ME are the best for small sizes and lengths.
 TobyA 28 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

I was about to suggest you check out Decathlon's own brands as they also seem to favour small, slim Euro sizes. Plus they are always really good value.
 spearing05 28 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

Another vote for Marmot. My wife is 4'10" but their short leg scree pants fit perfectly. We've since fount that the brand in general seems to fit her well (and bizarrely given I'm 6'2" their long versions fit me well).

Web togs had great customer service in finding/returning trousers to get a pair to fit.
OP RoK 29 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

Thanks lads, but just to clarify, we got sorted with the Grifone trous.
Will keep an eye out for the other brands though as a couple of different weight softshell trousers doesn't do any harm.

Regards,
Ronan.
 FrJ 29 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

Mammut do quite a range of sizes and lengths in both men and womens. Not everywhere stocks them though. Might also be pricey since the CHF went up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...