UKC

Chamonix-when to go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrgleb 11 Mar 2015
Hi all ,
I am planing a trip with my partner this summer to Chamonix. We are looking to do some hiking , climbing and easy to moderate mountaineering, and glacier walks ( with a guide to gain experiance ). We are thinking of going the end of August begining of September 2015. Will it still be very busy at this time and will most of the lifts into the mountians be running. Any advice will be Appreciated.

Thanks
 Mountain Llama 11 Mar 2015
In reply to mrgleb:

Have been twice in early Sept and it was fairly quiet. Lifts start to close mid sept, check website for actual dates.

Both times the weather was great.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers Davey
OP mrgleb 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Thanks for that Davey. I will check the website for the lifts. This will be our first visit to the Alps and it looks fantastic, I hope we get the good weather you had.

Ta.
 Simon4 11 Mar 2015
In reply to mrgleb:

Be aware that it may be very hot during the day, also the crevases will be at their widest and hardest to cross.

Mostly people tend to go earlier, from late June to mid August, by the time you get to end August/early Sept, the mountains can be falling apart. This does of course vary a lot from season to season.
 Webster 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon4:

depnds how high you go, by sept things tend to be freezing up again up high, with smart route choice it can be a fantastic time to go for snow and ice routes
 kenr 12 Mar 2015
Here's some photos of a climb in the Mont Blanc massif in _October_ last year:
https://picasaweb.google.com/AmericanTouristBike/ClimbRochefortRidge

Reports that the French mountains fall apart at the end of each summer are perhaps exaggerated. In a geological sense, the Mont Blanc massif is "falling apart" on many days of each year.

Ken
 Mountain Llama 12 Mar 2015
In reply to mrgleb:

Another good venue is saas grund and saas fee, these may be a bit more beginner friendly. Worth a look but maybe just not the same buzz as chamonix?

I have been to the alps on 5 occasions in early Sept and snow conditions were fine, the weather has also been stable. No guarantee just an observation.
OP mrgleb 12 Mar 2015
In reply to mrgleb:

Due to the dates that are free for us we have decided to go from the 11th Aug to the 24th. Hopefully it won't be too busy and things will be better towards the end of the month.
I will take a look at saas grund and saas fee though.
There seems to be so much to do in Chamonix for a first visit, it will be good to get a taste of all things Alpine. Does anyone recommend a good book on the area that covers topics like weather,Acclimatization and good general advice for first time visitors.

Ta
OP mrgleb 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Got that one on order.Looks good. Thanks : )
 Mountain Llama 12 Mar 2015
In reply to mrgleb:

If you fancy something a bit more hardcore then maybe http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme-Alpinism-Climbing-Light-Fast/dp/0898866545

It's a great book, part instruction manual, part stories some good some bad.

Definitely a good read

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...