UKC

Arco vs Kalymnos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
wangch079 14 Mar 2015
Hi there,

I'm a climber from Asia, and planing a rock trip (focusing on sports climbing) this July for one month in Europe.

Last year I climbed in Kalymnos for 2 weeks, and I have to say this is really a climber's paradise: super quality of rocks and routes with easy access (dozens of crags with in walking distance, and you can rent scooter at very reasonable price for further crags), comfort and cheap accommodation ( we stay at a studio at €10/person/night) and yummy food (at first we planned to cook, but found it totally unnecessary because there are many affordable seafood restaurant at a stone's throw away).

This year I planned to go to a new place, and after a bit of research, I found Arco might be a good option. But I'd like to know more about Arco, and appreciate if anyone can share anything in the following aspects:

Rock/Routes quality: I know it's limestone, how is it compared to Kalymnos?

Access to the crags: how many crags are with in walking distance? Is car necessary?

Accommodation: The budget option will be camping. I have never camped in Europe so I don't really understand the system. E.g http://www.arcoturistica.com/en/camping-arco/camping-e-servizi/pitches-pric... , in this price list, will they provide caravan? Or I need to stay in our own tent? If they do, so the price for 2 person will be the price of PLOT of GROUND + price of ADULYS x 2?

Food: will there be restaurants around the camp? And what is the average price for an average meal?

Thanks again, and will be happy to hear other climbing area suggestions.
 tjekel 14 Mar 2015
In reply to wangch079:

Been to both many times, still this is very subjective:

Arco does not have the same quality of rock; it is very nice for semialpine multipitch stuff, and depending on the season, it tends to get crowded and is quite polished in many places. In addition, it is expensive - you'll pay much more for a campsite in arco than you pay for a studio in kalymnos.

If I was into sport only there would be many european sites that I'd prefer to Arco. Several areas in south of france, siurana and margalef in catalunya, sardinia and sperlonga in italy, northern istria/osp in slovenia croatia.

Just my 2 cents.
 tjekel 14 Mar 2015
In reply to wangch079:

Ps, yes you will need some type of transport in Arco, or use public transport. Restaurants are in walking distance from the campsites. Again, little in tbe very cheap category.
wangch079 14 Mar 2015
In reply to tjekel:

Thks for your info.

I also considered Spanish crags, but it will be too hot during summer?

tjekel 14 Mar 2015
In reply to wangch079:

Arco will be just as hot - and the lake will be some miles away.
 Neil Morrison 14 Mar 2015
In reply to wangch079:

What about this area - not too hot in summer http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=7151
 AlanLittle 14 Mar 2015
In reply to wangch079:

I've never been to Kalymnos, but - as other have said - for pure sport climbing Arco is ok but not that great, and really not a summer destination either.

I've heard good things about the Finale region. In July you might also consider the Frankenjura. More risk of rain than south of the Alps, but also not too hot if the weather is good, whereas in Mediterranean areas in July you'd be trying to hide from the sun all the time.
wangch079 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Neil Morrison:

Thanks IceBun, will check this out.
wangch079 14 Mar 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

Thanks AlanLittle. I choose Alps because of the weather. Do you know any sport climbing are in Alps?
 AlanLittle 14 Mar 2015
In reply to wangch079:

Lots. This website, for example, has comprehensive topos for pretty much the whole of western Austria.

http://www.climbers-paradise.com/klettern/sportklettern/

But: I go to these places quite a bit because I only live a couple of hours drive away. Some of them are pleasant enough, but I can't think of any that I would say are really fantastic and worth travelling halfway round the world for. Unlike, say, the Frankenjura or some parts of Spain.
marcwhite 14 Mar 2015
In reply to wangch079:

mallorca is a spanish island secret for most - lots of DWS - cooler crags higher up as well for july -

ceuese worth a trip - definatly a good place for cooler temperatues in juy id reckon -

spanish / french pyrennes -

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...