UKC

Recommend Me Somewhere to Stay on Skye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Heaton 18 Mar 2015
Off for a week in the summer and want to take the family to Skye. We want to be close to the mountains, a nice beach or two and walking distance of a pub. What's a nice area?
In reply to Dave Heaton:

Carbost (the one on Loch Harport) is good. Reasonably close to the Cuillin and Tallisker bay (I'm assuming you have a car) and a much nicer pub than, say, the Slig.
 BnB 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave Heaton:

I'm a part-time resident of Skye (for the last ten years) and know every inch of the isle. It really depends on what you like.

Broadly speaking, the north is barren and lacking in real mountain atmosphere, but offers (much) drier weather and the lure of the Trotternish ridge, which is wonderful walking country on close cropped turf. The North West has the most exciting coastline and the coral beaches.

The central area meanwhile offers the fleshpots of Portree and the mighty Cuillin and you might enjoy the quiet bays at Portnalong on Loch Harport but the views (those that do not feature the Cuillin) are lacking (relatively) in drama

The (wetter on account of proximity to the maninland) south offers Torrin and Elgol for the best views ON the island, be that of Blabheinn or the Black Cuillin with some lovely beaches and bays to boot. Or head south west to Sleat, with its ancient woodland and wildflowers, for the loveliest surroundings and best views FROM the island, as you look across to Ladhar Bheinn and Knoydart looming large across the narrow sound of Sleat.

If I were to pick one spot, strictly for a single week, for a family cottage on a sandy beach looking across to Coruisk and the Cuillin, then I'd recommend Ord on Sleat. It's 25 minutes from Broadford co-op and doesn't have a pub, so not perfect I'm afraid.

If the pub is essential, then Isle Ornsay, with its views of Knoydart, and the loveliest setting of all, would be my choice. As indeed it was. Ours is the second house on the right.
 sheelba 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave Heaton:

The waterfront inn in Carbost is a lovely bunkhouse i think with family rooms available and as the name suggests attached to a pub

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...