UKC

Dolomites via ferrata as solo traveller

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ck85 22 Mar 2015
I really want to do some via ferrata in June/ July in the dolomites however am struggling to find someone to come with me. Is it a bad idea to go alone?

I'm thinking that being a solo traveller it'd be best to just do some day routes rather than hut to hut, does anyone have any suggestions for routes that'd be more suitable for someone going alone? I've got the Rockfall guide already.

Also, as I'm travelling alone I'd rather not have to rent a car because of the cost and hassle trying tosimultaneously navigate and drive so if you know of any routes that are accessible by public transport, that'd be great.

Thanks

tehmarks 22 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85:

I'm planning on doing a couple of weeks of via ferrata solo in the summer (call it an escape, time to myself, etc). If you have a modicum of mountain sense and have the skills to get yourself out of any awkward situations you might find yourself in (damaged cables, unprotected sections you don't like the look of, etc), I don't see a problem.

Can't help you with public transport recommendations (I'm driving from the UK, via the Ecrins with a partner) or route recommendations, but I don't see why it would be a bad idea if you're confident in your abilities.
OP ck85 22 Mar 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

That's great news, thanks for replying.

Enjoy your trips
 PPP 22 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85:

I am looking for a climbing partner in August (probably from 10th Aug onwards or so). Let me know if it's any good. Not so much interested in Via Feratta, but wouldn't mind trying.
OP ck85 22 Mar 2015
In reply to PPP:

Thanks for the offer but I only have time off work for the last week of June and first 2 weeks of July.
 Brass Nipples 22 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85:

Public transport is easy. Either train from Venice to Belluno then bus to Corvara or fly Innsbruck train bus etc.

mbh 22 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85:

Just going by our experience last summer...

Corvara is a good base. We camped there last year at the Calfosco campsite which is expensive but is well run and has everything you need. From there you have easy access to the Tridentina / Pisciadu VF, just up the pass, to the Piz da Lech, which is a (expensive) cable car/lift ride up from the town, and a bus ride over a pass in one direction brings you to the Sandro Pertini just up from Selva, and in another, a cable car ride up from Arabba is the VF Via Trincee.

I don't know what the bus connections are to Arraba and Selva from Corvara, but I bet they are good. All four of these VFs were wonderful,and you could definitely do them alone. You won't be, anyway, since they are very popular.
 JLS 22 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85:

Your plan is sound. You'll be fine. The VF around The Sella range are likely to be busy with other "climbers" so you'll not be all that "alone". I too like Corvara/Colfosco as a base.

OP ck85 22 Mar 2015
In reply to JLS:

Fantastic, thanks for all the information. I can't wait to go!
 Gael Force 22 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85:
I did a lot around the Sella pass area on my own when a partner was injured for a few days, no problem if you can rock climb. I never took anything extra other than a couple of slings.
There is lots of buses around there, and some very good VF's are accessible from the top of the pass.
 yelotango 22 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85:

Fly to Venice & bus to Cortina d`Ampezzo or train to Calalzo then bus to Cortina.
The second option can also be done from Treviso which is served by Ryanair.
Another longer option is by rail / bus from Bologna, use the TrenItalia website.
Good transport network from Cortina (Corvara, Dobbiaco)
A mix of low - high grade vf can easily be reached from C d`A by regular bus (SAD / Dolomiti bus)
Averau near Cinque Torre & Col de Bois & Tomaselli near Lagauzoi
Big mountain days on Tofana (Lipella & Punta Anna)
Col Rosa, Strobel & Sci 18 are all within walking distance of Cortina
 Casa Alfredino 22 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85: There are two plans of attack for this sort of trip in terms of transport. Buses and trains are by and large very cheap by comparison to the UK. So you can travel on them easily but be prepared to wait as they are not always that regular and its best to prepare by looking at time tables etc. You could however easily get to for example Bolzano on the trains, and then take a bus up to Karerpass. From here there is a long and really good tour you can do, Dente di diablo and Roda di Vael to rifugio di fronza, the santerpass Vf to Rifugio Principe, then the Cantenaccio d'antemoia, then across to the tieser alm hut, then the denti rossi and the Maximillian weg, then walk across to the Sella Pass, then the Possneckerweg to the top of the Sella. From here I would suggest crossing the sella and going down Val Setus to Passo Gardena. Here you could do the Grand Cir as a warm down or go down to Selva di Gardena and do the Sandro Pertini if its still open (is going to be taken down, may already have been!) and then catch the bus back to Bolzano. Thats a good weeks tour right there. On your own? Yeah sure, if you're a competent scrambler and mountaineer...
 mbh 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

[Sandro Pertini] is going to be taken down, may already have been!

Is it? Why? Environmental objections?
 Casa Alfredino 23 Mar 2015
In reply to mbh:

Basically the route was put up within a national park without permission. Its a shame because it is an awesome route. I guess they are worried about it setting a precedent. Although its no small effort to install a VF so I'm not sure theres a queue of people waiting to follow in their footsteps. Strictly speaking all new permanent installations require permission... For example if I were to want to install new bolt stations in the Serrai di Sottoguda to replace the rotten old bolts that were placed a long time ago, I'd have to do it privately funded and under the cover of darkness as I simply wouldn't ever get permission... Politics being what it is here an all...
 Toerag 23 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85:

It's no problem to go solo as long as you have the skills. What's more of a concern is when you're going - there will still be snow on stuff in June.
 beardy mike 23 Mar 2015
In reply to Toerag:

My guess is yes. This year hasn't been a particularly snowy year, but high in the mountains? Early in the month? I wouldn't be betting on no. So take the appropriate kit. s there going to be masses? Probably not, but maybe enough to stop you thinking about crossing snow patches in your trainers without an axe...
 nutme 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Toerag:

This June snow is really not a problem. Just make sure you have waterproof boots.

Doing Via Feratta solo is absolutely fine. A lot of people myself included cover a lot of miles solo. Obvious benefit is that you move on your own pace and don't have to wait for anybody. Overtaking and being overtakes is much easier solo as well.

I would recommend to consider huts. It's a very convenient without a car. There quite few of huts in Dolomites, they are generally well looked after and food is good!
 Chris the Tall 24 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85:

> I've got the Rockfall guide already.

Auto correct or Freudian slip ?
 Jenny C 24 Mar 2015
In reply to ck85:

We've been twice to the Cortina area both times with a car & have seen a few solo VF climbers.

Whilst having transport is useful, in many ways being reliant on public transport would offer the advantage of not having to circle back to the car at the end of the day (often backtracking back along the road). Also some walks we did would have been more interesting if we had the option of walking over the tops to the next valley, which would be easy if you are getting two 1-way bus tickets (basically having a car can make you rely on it too much!)

If the VFs are within your ability & you are confident with your navigation I can't see any problem doing them alone (apart from the usual concerns of having an accident when out solo). TBH most of the more popular ones you will probably have some company on anyway and as others have said bottle necks are much easier to pass if you are solo rather than in a large group.

We were out there mid July last year and some of the higher VFs where officially closed due to snow, so do check with the tourist office. That said lots of people were ignoring the closures and doing the routes anyway (we found microspikes handy for snow patches).
 yelotango 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Jenny C:

agree with the suggestion to use huts e.g. a night in the DreiZinnen hutte allows you to do the vf on Torre Toblin & Monte Paterno and watch sunset on the Tre Cime. You could walk to the Fonda Savoia hut via a `protected path` for another night & try the vf Merlone on the Cima Cadini and walk out to Misurina for a bus to Cortina

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...