UKC

Via Ferrata friendly holiday suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 psychomansam 22 Mar 2015
Hi all,

I'm looking for a summer destination in Europe to do some via ferrata. Other fairly friendly options such as canoeing, easy hiking, easy rock-climbing would improve the destination. Relaxation options, culture and running options would go down well too.

The main snag is that it's the other half that wants to do via ferrata but she has a heart defect. She can just about make it up a Lakeland fell or two in a day, but big ascents aren't really achievable. She can walk a long way on the flat, but going uphill is slow and limited. I'm no expert but I suspect this makes the Dolomites fairly off limits.

I know plenty of places in France at least have friendlier VFs installed (i.e. not going to summits) and the ideal destination would be somewhere with a bunch of these and some of the above other activities.

In an ideal world I'd like to drive and camp. Perhaps somewhere in the south of France or Pyrenees? Anyone have any ideas?

All advice much appreciated!

cheers
 Tim Sparrow 22 Mar 2015
In reply to psychomansam:
Briancon area. Loads of them! Easy to hard. Chateau de Queryras one is a great family trip as you top out at the Chateau gates.
Post edited at 22:40
 Darron 23 Mar 2015

Have a look at Buis le Barronais (sp) in France
 Gazlynn 23 Mar 2015

I would certainly give the Slovenia some consideration.

Cheers

Gaz

i live in the vallouise valley 20 mins from briancon

we have 27 via ferratas in this area at all levels, quite a few have road side access, or short walk ins and offs, there is a free via ferrata guide you can pick up here from climbing shops here , if i get time i can see if i can scan and email some of the routes you maybe interested in pm me your email?

there are also the medieval town of briancon and mont daulphine fort plus a few more forts to to see, a few lake to swim in relax by and read, there is world class kayaking, mainly white water, but a few lakes, and an hour away lake serreponcon one of the biggest man made lakes in europe, great for water sports, great running trails, for climbs there are over 80 crags 4 rock types and a grade to suit everyone

there is some great camp sites to chose from i would be happy to help give you further information about the area

have a look at my site to get an idea of area dream-trails.com

cheers Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...