UKC

A review of some climbing helmets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 23 Mar 2015

After feeling the urge to get something new and shiny to add to the gear collection-

I decided to take a peak at some helmets in the local Go outdoors.
After cycling for many years and going through a lot of helmets. I'm well versed in saying helmets fit, in a particular way, and one is not always going to fit everyone perfectly.

I started on the Mammut El Cap this one I really wanted as it has a nice rear end that envelops the back of the head. And a nice little snub nose peak.

Unfortunately it does sit very high up on the head. Not my thing.

All the petzls I tried had much the same problem, made worse by their rather weedy straps and magnetic buckles. (Personal preference)

The Black Diamond Half dome, surprisingly was a magnificent fit, looked rather good on, and was nicely built, and sturdy. Styling is basic and functional.

I ended up buying a Grivel Salamander, which is built nicely, sturdy straps, with a fleece neck liner, ratchet adjuster, and a dapper head torch mounting system, (bungees) It's got a rather low profile which I like, as I have an odd head. And it envelops the back of the head just enough to seem more protective from rear impacts.

(PS my need for the rear protection comes from a serious fall that's left me rather scarred in the back of my head department.)
Post edited at 21:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...