UKC

Expensive car for cragging.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alibaba 24 Mar 2015
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering whether it is wise to go for few months long trip around Europe in a pretty new, flashy, rather expensive car. What are the chances of things going bad when parked around well know climbing places in Spain, France, Italy or Greece?

Did you ever had any problems with your cars parked by the roadside close to approach paths?
From my experience most of the cars I have seen there were either ageing vans or rented cars.

Would you feel comfortable leaving your beloved car all alone for the whole day in places like Rodellar, Oliana, Siurana, Ceuse or Kalymnos?

It would never had any valuables in or be left there overnight.

I'm interested in hearing good and scary stories!

Thanks a lot!
 Ally Smith 24 Mar 2015
In reply to alibaba:

It's what insurance is for - get over it.
 BnB 24 Mar 2015
In reply to alibaba:

I'd only worry if it's a Skoda Octavia. Thieves will know for sure it's stuffed full of climbing gear.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Mar 2015
In reply to alibaba:

Most of the places you have mentioned are probably ok (though you might get robbed) but I wouldn't bring a decent car to Kalymnos. There isn't a car on the island that isn't a complete wreck!

Chris
 nightclimber 24 Mar 2015
In reply to alibaba:

Have parked around climbs / crags in the alps with no problems, using decent looking cars. Just use normal common sense: no visible expensive items, and don't block entrances to houses / fields / pathways. Never tried in Greece, so can't comment on that.
alibaba 24 Mar 2015
Of course, was thinking about even leaving boot cover opened to display empty boot. No valuables would be left inside.

Chris, do you think Kalymnos would be problematic?

Thanks for all the answers so far!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Mar 2015
In reply to alibaba:

i don't think there would be any issue with thievery but the standard of driving is pretty poor and as I said every car you see has bumps, dents, scrapes and bits missing - I wouldn't bring a vehicle of mine here - unless it was a banger!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...